Bucket mounted hay spear?

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
Never had one, but I have a FEL with a bucket and no spear. Will I be satisfied with one? One on Craigslist here in town for $150. Seems easier than changing to spear when I don't have quick attach.

Depends on the strength of the loader. The weight will be carried further forward and can cause odd stresses on the bucket and loader.

dun":sb1nb0xx said:
Depends on the strength of the loader. The weight will be carried further forward and can cause odd stresses on the bucket and loader.

I was worried about that.

I thought about welding a chain hook, on top of the bucket with a chain, and a turnbuckle going to the spear. Reading yaws comments has me thinking just get a spear.

I used one on a 2wd Kubota m4900 with LA1002 loader for several years before I broke down and got a pin-on spear that replaces the bucket. Starting out, we were only feeding 80-85 rolls a year. As the herd grew little by little, I'm now feeding around 140 rolls so I bought a pin-on spear last year. Night and day difference, as you might expect. I still have the bucket spear laying around and will use it if I just need to handle a few rolls, anything more than 10 or so and it's worth changing out to the pin-on. I paid $179 for the bucket spear years ago at TSC, now it looks like it runs around $230.

We feed mostly 5x5 rolls, the ones I have weighed have averaged about 1700 lbs per CAT scale at local truck stop. The bucket spear hasn't had a problem with bales of this size but it did wind up bending the bottom of the tractor bucket - not horribly disfigured but noticeable to the eye. What Dun said about pushing the weight forward of the loader pins is 100% correct. On my tractor, without a bale on the 3 pt out back, I can forget about trying to pick up a bale with the bucket spear. Tractor will tip forward. With a bigger/heavier tractor, loaded rear tires, or smaller bales, this might be less of a problem.

If you already have a dedicated spear and want the bucket spear to put on to handle a few bales, I'd say it's worth it for that. For more frequent use, I would skip the bucket spear and buy a dedicated pin-on. It's a pain putting it on but handles the weight 100% better and safer. The bucket spears will work, as I used one for 3 years with no other alternative, but I really don't enjoy using it due to the stress on the tractor and how unstable it makes everything.

Bigfoot":t70czm2p said:
Never had one, but I have a FEL with a bucket and no spear. Will I be satisfied with one? One on Craigslist here in town for $150. Seems easier than changing to spear when I don't have quick attach.

Bigfoot I bought a tractor recently and it had a slide on bale spike and was chained to the bucket and it will bend the bucket to crap as others said. Just say no.

I loaded one load 2 weeks ago with a bucket spear and I decided that I needed a dedicated spear. It Handled the load fine but that extra 24" or so out front makes a BIG difference. Buy or build you a spear frame and make it your quick connect for your bucket. I built a pallet fork frame today and I should be set with a hay fork, pallet fork and bucket with quick attach hooks.

bigfoot I found some pics on my phone. I think in both pics you can see the bucket bend

ResizedImage_1408840138381_zps7955bd62.jpg

ResizedImage_1408840205736_zps6c6db069.jpg

Yea, that looks like it would be a ton of pressure out on the end of a bucket. I've two or three hay spears for a 3 point hitch. I can probably modify one of them to fit the FEL cheaper than I can fool with the bucket spear.

yea bucket spears are bad biz.. I will never take that one off I only bought the tractor to keep at 2 pastures away from home to move hay.

You may be able to purchase the male and female attachment pieces to add to your loader. When you weld the female brackets on you bucket it is then easy to remove. You can then buy or make just the pieces that mount on implements to make whatever you want. Then it would be pretty simple to have a bale spear with a quick disconnect also.

This is what I did with a Westendorf model 21, and it works nice.

I always looked at it like this, I wouldn't carry a bag of groceries into the house with my arms extended as far away from my body as possible!

Bigfoot":w4zx5atf said:
dun":w4zx5atf said:

BF, Dun is right......depending on your rig. I have a bale spear that attaches to my bucket (sine '06) and have NEVER had any problems with it bending the bucket. But that's on my rig which is an '05, 64 hp, 2 wheel drive tractor with stock FEL picking up bales no heavier than about 1200 lbs and I have lifted hundreds of those. The other critical consideration is how the bale spear is engineered - how it disperses the weight on your FEl. I bought mine from Northern Tool back in '06 and it cost about $400. Looks kinda like:
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _200612296 (this one rated for up to 1800 lbs)

Regardless of whether you use a clamp on like mine or a quick attach, you will have serious safety considerations - more so with the clamp on type due what Dun said. ALWAYS keep a heavy weight - like another bale - on the back of the tractor when moving a bale with the front end bale spear. Water in the rear wheels isn't enough. Any bale spear has to match up right to the bales weight and lift abilities of your FEL or you can have serious problems.

Sounds like you have decided Bigfoot but I would recommend buying a seperate spear or fitting one of your 3pt models to the front of the loader. I''ve never bent a bucket using one but have had some clusters loading hay with a big dang backhoe with a spike somebody chained in a bucket. Can't see crap either with them.

Latest posts