Browning Belgium 16

Help Support CattleToday:

ousoonerfan22

Reaction score
I bought a Browning A5 16 gauge today at the Cabelas near Castle Rock,CO for $450 and the stocks are in good shape but need sanded and stained and the blueing looks good. The bad thing it has an ugly muzzle brake on it so if we removed the muzzle brake could a gunsmith install chokes in this barrel or should we try to find another barrel? Did I pay too much for this gun?
My son bought a nice Remington 17 pump 20 gauge for $280 and it has been reblued and has nice stocks and looks excellent.

A gunsmith can install interchangable chokes on your barrel. You will have to find one that caters to trap/skeet shooters as it is specialized work. If your gun has a vent rib that makes it a bit more difficult from an appearance point. If you just want one choke, it will probably be cheaper to find another barrel. They show up on gunbroker, but you have to watch for them.

$450 sounds about right for the gun as described. Sweet Sixteens bring more.

I think 3waycross has an extra barrel if he will seperate from it. Actually I think I need it.
You got a decent deal on it but the poly-choke makes it worth a lot less than the regular barrel.

ousoonerfan22":1gbdzddl said:
I bought a Browning A5 16 gauge today at the Cabelas near Castle Rock,CO for $450 and the stocks are in good shape but need sanded and stained and the blueing looks good. The bad thing it has an ugly muzzle brake on it so if we removed the muzzle brake could a gunsmith install chokes in this barrel or should we try to find another barrel? Did I pay too much for this gun?
My son bought a nice Remington 17 pump 20 gauge for $280 and it has been reblued and has nice stocks and looks excellent.

That's not a bad deal on that Model 17 Remington either. If the actions not worn out and it wasn't buffed to death on the reblue job. Even though it's a reblued shotgun them model 17's are a handy little 20 gauge shotgun built as a 20 gauge. Not a 12 gauge shotgun frame with a 20 ga barrel.

On your Browning Poly Choke or Cutts Compensator barrel, is it a plain barrel or does it have a rib on it? If its a plain barrel anyone with a small lathe and the know how could bore and cut the threads for screw in chokes. It's pretty common in my area. The turkey shoot crowds have been making chokes and barrels for years. My dad used to turn out a lot of barrels and chokes. Also, look on gunbroker.com, there's guys on there offering that service for not much money.

Latest posts