BROWN VACATION H7106

Help Support CattleToday:

wi redangus

Reaction score
I am thinking about using him on some cows and heifers. Probably gonna retain some heifers out of him... Is there a reason I should think twice about doing this? Is he a good bull for keeping females from? He seems to have good numbers such as CEM, CED STAY HPG.

Don't see why not, he has been a popular bull for females and is well proven. As always it depends on your herd and what your goals are but the Julian bloodline is an excellent maternal line to build from IMO. I have never used him but I'm sure there are plenty here that have it you are worried about structural issues.

I am mainly interested in building a nice set of females. The cows go back to bulls like Badlands Mr. Beef, 7u new day, HLH Buster 406 603 and Feddes Rob. The heifers would have the same on the dams side and are out of a black angus bull called Mytty In Focus. I don't remember seeing any Julian blood in any of those.

We used himn a good deal a few years ago. Never kept a female, for us there wasn;t anything remarkable about any of the claves. Just pretty much average. But I felt the same way about Messmer Judge but at the Red Angus sale the buyers went nuts for his daughters.

Do you have any suggestions on good female makers? I bred some cows to the genex bull Red six mile Win-Chester last year and I guess I will see what his calves are like this spring.

wi redangus":w97aqq8g said:
Do you have any suggestions on good female makers? I bred some cows to the genex bull Red six mile Win-Chester last year and I guess I will see what his calves are like this spring.
I'm sort of in the market myslef. I have one unit of Chateau and a couple of BasinHobo 79E but other then those all I have are meat makers

wi redangus":2bswwu38 said:
Is there any chateau available? What does it usually cost?
If you could find it you probably coultn't afford it, I know I couldn;t. That's why I've been hoarding my last straw and waiting for just the right cow to use it on

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=62218
The link above is to my Brown Vacation daughter I've talked about before and here's a more recent picture (excuse the shoulder blade, she's standing funny). Her bull from last year is the best guy we have, and we're just now starting to get her ET calves on the ground.
IMG_0703.jpg

We've been about 50-50 on Brown Vacation daughters, some great, some culled.

I visited with Clayton from Six Mile awhile back about the Winchester bull, he's pretty excited about him. I kind of sound like a broken record, but we've had pretty good luck with Norseman King and anything with Towaw Indeed in their pedigree.

She looks real nice! I will probably go ahead with him on the heifers. I am excited to see what the Winchester calves are like. Any experience with Messmer Packer calves?

wi redangus":1jtxcf59 said:
She looks real nice! I will probably go ahead with him on the heifers. I am excited to see what the Winchester calves are like. Any experience with Messmer Packer calves?
Seems like we may have had some of his bull calves last year but I would have to double check since we shipped out the last of last years calves on Wednesday. We do have severl cows bred to him for this year. At the Montvue sale they sold their percentage (something like 12%) for 1500 bucks if the numbers I wrote down are correct. By the time I decided to bid it was already sold.

dun":30n45sj9 said:
wi redangus":30n45sj9 said:
Is there any chateau available? What does it usually cost?
If you could find it you probably coultn't afford it, I know I couldn;t. That's why I've been hoarding my last straw and waiting for just the right cow to use it on

You should flush someone to that straw.

wi redangus":31gp871p said:
Any experience with Messmer Packer calves?

Saw quite a few at a sale I went to, wasn't impressed with their head shape, many were pig-faced (wide between the eyes and short narrow noses). Didn't see the same thing with other sire groups at the same sale.

Latest posts