Brown Recluse

Help Support CattleToday:

backhoeboogie

Reaction score
The sucker nailed me on the top base of the right thumb Thursday about 2p.m. I nipped it out and filled the hole with peroxide. Went to the ER, got a shot, got a tetanus shot (tdap), and was put on an 8 pill a day regiment of anti-biotics.

With all that, my hand still swole up like a balloon. Probably a 2 inch circle of red with intermittent blistering. A dime size yellow blister at the bite location.

Ya'll be careful.

All this excitement just won't end. I am ready to be really bored asap.

:???: :cry2:

Bet Blustery Alberta is sounding better everyday .

Wishing you a speedy recovery Boogie, and for Goodness sakes, please be careful !!!!!!!!!!! :tiphat:

Only seen a couple but the bite location looked pretty vicious. Eventually it will probably rot and the whole core will fall out of it and then it will begin to heal. In the meantime just gotta grin and bear it.

No point in me buying a lotto ticket HD. :D 2011 is going on record as a terrible year for me in practically every way.

Come on 2012! Cattle prices are up.

Glad your alright Boogie. NW Iowa doesn't seem so bad without anything poisonous around. I guess thats the upside of tolerating cold and snow. Everywhere has its ups and downs. I'll choose to suffer through cold and snow rather than worry bout snakes and spiders that could kill me. lol

Seems like a bad place to get bit. Glad you got to the Dr. fast and didn't waste time. Those things are nasty and the venom does a lot of tissue damage. I know a guy who got bit on the inner thigh and ended up with a permanent hole that you could stick a finger into. He waited too long to get help because he didn't realize how serious it was. I wish you a speedy recovery.

TexasBred":3mo3zevy said:
Only seen a couple but the bite location looked pretty vicious. Eventually it will probably rot and the whole core will fall out of it and then it will begin to heal. In the meantime just gotta grin and bear it.
You sure make it sound peachy for Boogie :shock: . I take it that a Brown Recluse is a spider?
Speedy recovery BHB.

Here hopin' you heal quickly BHB. We have those nasty boogers in Missouri and Illinois too. I know a couple of fella's that have been bitten. Get's ugly before it heals for sure. Now you have all yer bad luck done so 2012 looks mighty rosey for you. :cboy:

Yes. A brown recluse is a nasty little spider. So small you have to look close unless you are in a well lighted place. "Recluse" is a name given based on their character/nature.

Thanks for the well wishes everyone. The swelling in the hand is much less than what it was. The immediate bite area might be a little more intense but it looks to be on the mend overall - finally.

Seeing all the bites thru the years (on other people), mine is the least severe. Probably attributed to prompt attention.

hooknline":tv1cx77f said:
Dang BHB you cant catch a break. Those recluse dont play around. Hope you get by ok

Thanks. Maw Nature must be really ticked off at me. She's been kicking my tail all year long!

It isn't nearly as bad as all those pics you see on the net. Mine is not as deep either. I didn't dilly around with it. Even then, it was still bad. If you know of someone who gets bit, immediate medical attention is a must. It starts out looking like a mosquito bite but it will itch like you have never itched before. Nipping that area out may have helped but it swole up so much you couldn't tell it had been cut at all. You can see the tendons flex on the back of my right hand now. Yesterday you could not. The whole hand swole up that much.

Yummy. Thanks. Im gonna go eat dinner now. Dumplin and sausage sounds good right now. The sift squushy doughy dumplins

backhoeboogie":pzlqmm8l said:
The sucker nailed me on the top base of the right thumb Thursday about 2p.m. I nipped it out and filled the hole with peroxide. Went to the ER, got a shot, got a tetanus shot (tdap), and was put on an 8 pill a day regiment of anti-biotics.

With all that, my hand still swole up like a balloon. Probably a 2 inch circle of red with intermittent blistering. A dime size yellow blister at the bite location.

Ya'll be careful.

Got bit by one years ago thought my arm was going to rot off. That is one bad ass little spider.

I have had a phobia about spiders ever since being bit. You throw a spider on me now, when I get through crying, screaming like a school girl and get cleaned up we are going to fight. You can take that to the bank.

Caustic Burno":1tjt5mbq said:
backhoeboogie":1tjt5mbq said:

Ya'll be careful.

Got bit by one years ago thought my arm was going to rot off. That is one bad ass little spider.

I have had a phobia about spiders ever since being bit. You throw a spider on me now, when I get through crying, screaming like a school girl and get cleaned up we are going to fight. You can take that to the bank.

After doing some research on the brown recluse and how venomous and invasive they are you have every right to feel that way CB.
Boogie, Thank God you got to the ER asap. Will keep you in my prayers ; I hope you heal quickly without those very serious side effects from a BR spider bite .

BHB, i've never seen one of those spiders that I'm aware of, but all spiders give me the creeps. Does "nipping it out" mean you killed it? Hopefully, your quick trip to the ER will make it easier on you. You said it itched a lot. Is it painful now? Eight pills a day!!!! What antibiotic?

Keep a picture diary and share with us! :hide:

Backhoe, I got bit by one 2 years ago on the inside of my leg just above the knee. Like you I went to the doctor immediatley. A round of anti-biotics really helped. The bite made me nauseous and generated bad hip pain (which is a symptom....kinda like arthritis in the hip joint). Nasty little critter. We have millions of them. They love dead wood. I got bit lifting the butt end of a telephone pole that I had cut for a fencepost. You pretty much have to smash one to get them to bite. They are pretty shy which explains why most people come in close proximity everyday with them but rarely get bitten. A friend of the family worked in a saw mill. One crawled up his pants and bit him on the testicles. He thought it was a tick bite but couldn't find the tick. Anyway a few days later he wound up in the hospital for a long time. His testicles got infected and swelled to the size of a softball. He almost lost them in the ordeal. He actually came close to death from the infection in his blood stream.

Latest posts