Brown eggs, grain and truth in marketing

Help Support CattleToday:

White Leghorns will produce more eggs, and consume less feed, then RIR, and have a higher % of eggs grading large. A White Leghorn hen averages 4.5 lb, a RIR 6.5 lb. A Brown Leghorn lays white eggs, and a Rhode Island White lays brown eggs.
I told you what part of my post was unverified information. Drover should have checked some facts before publishing that article, it is an opinion piece and I agree producers shouldn't bash eachother, but if the writer is wrong about the egg part who knows about the rest of it?

Not intending to get into a "cock fight" but you are mentioning one breed that is virtually an egg exclusive breed.

Read this

Best Egg-Laying Chicken Breeds There are many chicken varieties, and all lay eggs, but only a handful are in the best egg-laying chicken breeds category. All female chickens will lay edible eggs with identical nutritional content, but some bird varieties have been bred especially for their egg-laying capabilities and thus are superior chickens for that purpose. For example, Leghorn hens are excellent for consistent, nearly-daily laying and produce about 300 eggs per year.

Many modern laying breeds contain some Leghorn in them. Some of the best egg laying chicken breeds include:

Leghorn
Rhode Island Reds
Black Star
Red Star
Light Sussex
Plymouth Rock
Cuckoo Maran
Barred Rock

source: http://egglayingchickens.com/best-egg-l ... reeds.html

Most of these are brown egg layers.

Santas and Duhram Reds":1sar12vn said:
Not intending to get into a "cock fight" but you are mentioning one breed that is virtually an egg exclusive breed.

Read this

Best Egg-Laying Chicken Breeds There are many chicken varieties, and all lay eggs, but only a handful are in the best egg-laying chicken breeds category. All female chickens will lay edible eggs with identical nutritional content, but some bird varieties have been bred especially for their egg-laying capabilities and thus are superior chickens for that purpose. For example, Leghorn hens are excellent for consistent, nearly-daily laying and produce about 300 eggs per year.

Many modern laying breeds contain some Leghorn in them. Some of the best egg laying chicken breeds include:

Leghorn
Rhode Island Reds
Black Star
Red Star
Light Sussex
Plymouth Rock
Cuckoo Maran
Barred Rock

source: http://egglayingchickens.com/best-egg-l ... reeds.html

Most of these are brown egg layers.
Chickens and eggs is a lot like cattle and milk. Some breeds have been selected to excel in egg production others in meat production. Others are considered dual purpose, eggs and meat. They don;t lay as prolificly as the egg breeds and don;t convert feed to meat as well as the meat breeds. But they do reasonably well at both.

Santas and Duhram Reds":1vt76hdr said:
on a side note the color of a chicken egg is determined by the color of its earlobe, not the pigment of its feathers.

I've raised chickens over 30 years and have never heard or seen this to be true. It may be partially correct with some breeds. My $0.02 only.

Latest posts