• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Brome Management Advice.

Dcantrell

Reaction score
I would like to hear some ideas on brome hay field. I bought the land next to me last year. It has a beautiful 10 acre stand of brome that I baled last May and pastured some in the fall. The soil was up to test and I haven't fertilized it. Triple 19 fertilizer is 395 a ton. I am considering 200 lbs. per acre. Is this to much? Will it respond just as we'll to less than that, I could put my money in other fields if I did. I have never dealt with brome before. Cows loved it. Thanks.

Nesikep

Reaction score
Cow do like it if it doesn't get too mature (like anything)... 200 lbs an acre does sound like quite a bit, though I don't apply any, my neighbors do at 80lb/ac... Here's a bump for the thread anyhow :)

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
Yes, too much.

There is some variation in the fertilizer response by different types of grass, but usually the best response comes from small doses of N when moisture is not limiting. Traditionally 50# N actual / acre / application for straight grass, and less than 40# N actual if there is legume in the mix.

Lynn731

Reaction score
How long after applying granular fertilizer, is it safe for animals to be on it?

Latest posts