no hayfield experience-advice?

Help Support CattleToday:

pdubdo

Reaction score
My much older neighbor has a 20 acre hayfield (south-central oklahoma) that he doesn't want to mess with anymore. Common and improved bermuda. No weeds. He said he just wants it kept up and looking nice, and I can keep whatever I get off it as long as I keep the weeds out. I have zero experience with this, but figured a soil analysis is a good place to start: Needs lime (0.5 tons/acre), N (85 lbs/acre), P205 (40 lbs/acre), and K (55 lbs/acre) per Texas A&M. Don't need to maximize production-would rather slowly get it in shape over a couple years. Can you guys help me with the general timing of things? When to fertilize? when to contact a hay guy to get on a tentative calendar? I'm thinking just one cut, and then graze my cattle out there at some point, and then maybe stockpile for next winter...but I really have no clue what's best. any advice appreciated!

I agree chicken litter is fantastic if you can source it. It doesn't sound like it's too desperate for lime at the moment. i'd just try and keep it cut and grazed. You may find your occasional grazing brings it some fertility
I haven't priced ag lime in a year or better but heard pricing has gone crazy recently

I agree with all the posts provided, we used to cut 7000 bales a year and I have never seen fertilizer this high

I would graze it, Pull them off in August and stockpile it. The stockpiled Burmuda alone is enough for dry cows through December.