Brome Hay

Help Support CattleToday:

csutton

Reaction score
What are the differences, if any, between brome hay and say coastal or bermuda? I have heard of brome but not sure if it is different that what "we" call bahia or coastal. Is brome good for horses? Is it sweet smelling like alfalfa? any answers or comments welcomed.

csutton

csutton":375h9lyf said:
What are the differences, if any, between brome hay and say coastal or bermuda? I have heard of brome but not sure if it is different that what "we" call bahia or coastal. Is brome good for horses? Is it sweet smelling like alfalfa? any answers or comments welcomed.

csutton

Horses love it. Cows too. We feed tons of it every winter. Horse eat what the cows eat - Round bales of the stuff. Bale goes and I replace it.

Smell? It is a dried grass - smells like hay to me.

Cannot help with the other questions - live too far north.

Regards,

Bez?

For starters brome is a cool season grass like fescue and OG.

dun

csutton":1xxc4d6h said:

csutton

Can't help you with the differences between brome, coastal or bermuda as the latter two do not grow here, at least to the best of my knowledge. Yes, brome is good for horses and they love it! I don't know if it's sweet smelling or not - I've never smelled it except to check for the early stages of mold and, even then, it smells like hay. But, then again, I've never noticed alfalfa being 'sweet smelling' either, but I'm highly allergic to the stuff, so that might also explain it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Brome makes good hay, and probably the most winter hardy cool season grasses there is. There are different species of brome the cool season non native variety we use for forage up here would not be the same as what you would use in Texas.
Our Smooth Brome will survive dry weather but will not grow a bit in hot dry weather.
mnmt

Really great hay, requires good ground and lots of nitrogen. Doesn't like multiple cuts and hates roundup with passion. Small squares here are going for $12 a bale this year
I presume the cows like it?
We don't have any here in Oklahoma that I'm aware of. But just across the border to the north I guess it's plentiful. Contemplating buying/ renting a trailer and getting a bit...

Latest posts