Broken Toe

Help Support CattleToday:

slick4591

Reaction score
Middle of last week I brought one of my cows back home after she had been away for a while. No sooner than she got off the trailer she had to start headbutting another one. Only lasted a little while as she saw she was getting no where and she limped off. I didn't worry about her then, but she kept that limp up and today it was more pronounced. I got her in the squeeze to have a look. She broke the end of one toe off and it's apparently really sore. I cleaned it up and put a little betadine solution on it. It didn't appear to be infected and I didn't figure to wrap it because it's so muddy. Thought about hitting her with some pen, but changed my mind. Anything else to do for it?

slick4591":3orzs7je said:
Middle of last week I brought one of my cows back home after she had been away for a while. No sooner than she got off the trailer she had to start headbutting another one. Only lasted a little while as she saw she was getting no where and she limped off. I didn't worry about her then, but she kept that limp up and today it was more pronounced. I got her in the squeeze to have a look. She broke the end of one toe off and it's apparently really sore. I cleaned it up and put a little betadine solution on it. It didn't appear to be infected and I didn't figure to wrap it because it's so muddy. Thought about hitting her with some pen, but changed my mind. Anything else to do for it?

Asprin and me personally id spray it with blue kote
Dun helped me with the asprin on a limping cow I had.

A bit of trimming might be in order or removing broken bit that might be acting like a big lever seperating a split up near the sensitive area whenever she walks. I usually act pretty aggressively with trimming in situations like that. It is just like having a split fingernail that gets caught every time you use it.
Ken

wbvs58":3ngnswxp said:
A bit of trimming might be in order or removing broken bit that might be acting like a big lever seperating a split up near the sensitive area whenever she walks. I usually act pretty aggressively with trimming in situations like that. It is just like having a split fingernail that gets caught every time you use it.
Ken

Thanks. It's just the tip of the hoof broken back that far and it didn't appear to need any trimming. They would pick the only spot where's there's rock to lock up and fight!

Had a bull break his hoof about like that. Been several years back. Best i remember we used the blue spray. We penned him up with roll of hay so he didn't have to do any traveling. Took a few weeks but he did fine.

Portable panel s work fine in a pinch. If you don't have any go buy some. I couldn't image being without them. Their as handy as a pocket on a shirt.

fenceman":39hsxwg6 said:
Portable panel s work fine in a pinch. If you don't have any go buy some. I couldn't image being without them. Their as handy as a pocket on a shirt.
:nod: I move pens around here often. If one of my portables stay in place for a year, it's time to put some posts in and finally make it permanent. :lol:

Latest posts