Broken Leg

Help Support CattleToday:

Sugar Creek

Reaction score
Had a nice new bull calf born fine but when I checked the next day it had a broken lower hind leg that had broken through the skin. I was not sure the calf had nursed. Had to haul it in the truck to the nearest vet. He was out on a call and I did not get the calf back home until the next morning. I have the cow and calf up in an old tobacco barn to keep the cast from getting muddy and wet. The calf is nursing good and getting around real well. He says now that the cast (mostly white and blue tape) should be replaced in 10 days to two weeks and I should bring it back to the vet's office.
Any chance I could replace the cast myself? The expense of all this makes this a very expensive calf.

Sugar Creek":2oecv6qx said:
Had a nice new bull calf born fine but when I checked the next day it had a broken lower hind leg that had broken through the skin. I was not sure the calf had nursed. Had to haul it in the truck to the nearest vet. He was out on a call and I did not get the calf back home until the next morning. I have the cow and calf up in an old tobacco barn to keep the cast from getting muddy and wet. The calf is nursing good and getting around real well. He says now that the cast (mostly white and blue tape) should be replaced in 10 days to two weeks and I should bring it back to the vet's office.
Any chance I could replace the cast myself? The expense of all this makes this a very expensive calf.

You did a heck of lot more than I would of that booger would have been innoculated between the eyes, skinned in the freezer here on the way to the septic tank.

Caustic Burno":1saouxpy said:
Sugar Creek":1saouxpy said:

You did a heck of lot more than I would of that booger would have been innoculated between the eyes, skinned in the freezer here on the way to the septic tank.

Now just how do you think that vet would make a living if everyone had your attitude. (And more and more are getting it.)

I would not replace it. I have had two through the years to break a leg and they heal very quickly. I would keep it on longer than that and when I took it off keep it confined and i bet it will be fine.

novatech":2ub7v55a said:
Caustic Burno":2ub7v55a said:
Sugar Creek":2ub7v55a said:

Now just how do you think that vet would make a living if everyone had your attitude. (And more and more are getting it.)

I"ll answer that one for old CB.

I ain't worried about making a living for the Vet. I'm more concerned about Me. Casting can get expensive. You can easily tie up more money than the calf is worth.

We have had a number of broken legs. We use PVC pipe in varies witch and lengths. We wrap the PVC with cotton and vet wrap and the put in on the calve with vet wrap. Leave it for 2 weeks and take it off. Works for me. I don't mind paying a vet but i want him to do something i can't do.

I wouldn't try to recast it myself. I also wouldn't leave it on longer than he told you. Casts left on while the calf is growing can cause a lot of problems with the muscles, tendons and bones in the leg. You have a better chance of getting a perfectly healed calf if you replace the cast.
We've had a couple over the years with broken legs and have always let the vet do his job. The calves have grown to full size and have had no leg problems. Got more of a profit from them that way than we would have if we'd shot them.

Victoria":3qt42ee2 said:
I wouldn't try to recast it myself. I also wouldn't leave it on longer than he told you. Casts left on while the calf is growing can cause a lot of problems with the muscles, tendons and bones in the leg. You have a better chance of getting a perfectly healed calf if you replace the cast.
We've had a couple over the years with broken legs and have always let the vet do his job. The calves have grown to full size and have had no leg problems. Got more of a profit from them that way than we would have if we'd shot them.

I'm with CB on this or at least doing it myself and leaving the Vet out of the picture. Profit is the only reason for a bull calf, you don't make that much profit on a perfectly healthy 600 lber. I would think the vet would eat all the profit and then some. If it was a nice heifer calf than maybe a vet, maybe not.

As Wewild asked, and I hope I don't jinks myself, why all the broken legs? I wouldn't think that many calves getting are getting stepped on in a pasture.

Alan

Alan":8m0ub3ta said:
Victoria":8m0ub3ta said:

I'm with CB on this or at least doing it myself and leaving the Vet out of the picture. Profit is the only reason for a bull calf, you don't make that much profit on a perfectly healthy 600 lber. I would think the vet would eat all the profit and then some. If it was a nice heifer calf than maybe a vet, maybe not.

As Wewild asked, and I hope I don't jinks myself, why all the broken legs? I wouldn't think that many calves getting are getting stepped on in a pasture.

Alan

This is the way I think of it.

The last male calf we had break a leg we got between $750 and $800 for. The vet for total casting expenses was about $300. Then we have feed for the cow etc and yes the profit was almost all gone. BUT shooting the calf would have meant $0 profit on the calf, selling the cow would have made that up but she was an older cow that in the long run was worth nothing to sell and was going to continue having good calves for a few more years if she stayed so not worth shipping her to get the extra money.
I don't trust my abilities to cast a leg and get it perfectly straight and not have the calf have any limp or straightening problems. We sell in a select sale, a broken perfectly healed leg is allowed, a gimp is not. To sell the calf with a limp on a regular sale day would mean more than a $300. loss.

We've had the two broken legs I remember. One the cow was bought as a bred heifer and was such an idiot that she stepped on it herself when she was trying to get it up. The later one was an older cow. I was putting out straw after a large amount of snow. She tucked her baby into one of the straw piles and another cow stepped on the leg. It happens more in cold weather when they try to pile together for body heat.

Victoria":3t0neq99 said:
Alan":3t0neq99 said:
Victoria":3t0neq99 said:

Alan

The last male calf we had break a leg we got between $750 and $800 for. The vet for total casting expenses was about $300. Then we have feed for the cow etc and yes the profit was almost all gone. BUT shooting the calf would have meant $0 profit on the calf, selling the cow would have made that up but she was an older cow that in the long run was worth nothing to sell and was going to continue having good calves for a few more years if she stayed so not worth shipping her to get the extra money.
I don't trust my abilities to cast a leg and get it perfectly straight and not have the calf have any limp or straightening problems. We sell in a select sale, a broken perfectly healed leg is allowed, a gimp is not. To sell the calf with a limp on a regular sale day would mean more than a $300. loss.

We've had the two broken legs I remember. One the cow was bought as a bred heifer and was such an idiot that she stepped on it herself when she was trying to get it up. The later one was an older cow. I was putting out straw after a large amount of snow. She tucked her baby into one of the straw piles and another cow stepped on the leg. It happens more in cold weather when they try to pile together for body heat.

I buy most my new heifers at select sales, I'm curious, do you have to declare to the buyers this calf had a broken leg? As a buyer I would hope so.

Alan

By a number of broken legs i mean 5 or 6 in the last 40 some years. Most have been stepped on at hay rings. Some stepped on during thunder storms. Had one broken when dogs got after the cow. The dog did not make it took it to the owner with a bill. He payed very eagarly.

endebt":3vgfbdzf said:
By a number of broken legs i mean 5 or 6 in the last 40 some years. Most have been stepped on at hay rings. Some stepped on during thunder storms. Had one broken when dogs got after the cow. The dog did not make it took it to the owner with a bill. He payed very eagarly.

I have seen 1 calf break it's leg as it tried to kick at me and broke it clean into on a panel. I'm over 40 so I may have missed the first 10 years.

Sorry for your losses. I hope I don't have your luck. It's time to knock on wood for me.

Alan":1xozb1vp said:
Victoria":1xozb1vp said:
Alan":1xozb1vp said:
Victoria":1xozb1vp said:

Alan

I buy most my new heifers at select sales, I'm curious, do you have to declare to the buyers this calf had a broken leg? As a buyer I would hope so.

Alan

A heifer would not be there, only a steer for feedlots. Just as possible freemartins are not sent. We had two heifers twins to bull calves this year. They went to a regular sale and we sent a letter stating they may be freemartins.

Victoria":26cqauu5 said:
Alan":26cqauu5 said:
Alan":26cqauu5 said:

Alan

Alan

A heifer would not be there, only a steer for feedlots. Just as possible freemartins are not sent. We had two heifers twins to bull calves this year. They went to a regular sale and we sent a letter stating they may be freemartins.

My misunderstanding, our breed state associations sales are called select sales. completly different it sounds like.

Alan

I guess I should have explained better, I can understand the confusion. At our sale barn regular calf sales sell on Fridays. Then there are select calf sales on other days we go with the commercial breeders in our area and the idea is that these are the calves that would do well in feedlots or as replacement heifers. The heifers have to be something you would want in your herd and the steers something that will do well in the feedlot - too young, too sickly, limping, free-maritns etc. are not supposed to be in the sale. The broken leg was vet checked before going. It's actually worked out well for us. We sell a lot of replacement heifers and get the same buyers for feedlots every year since they know the day we are selling on. The only problem is if the market dips you are still supposed to honour the commitment so the sale remains strong. Overall though, it has brought us more money even with the dips.

i would'nt recast it period. just make sure that opening stays clean and keep it wrapped broken bones heal double quick on babies. you would be surprized

Thanks Alabamacowman
Calf is still looking good, cast is dry and no apparrent drainage. Worst thing is keeping the cow up all this time, she sure would like to go out and join the rest. I think I will try and remove the cast at about 16 days after the break.
Mud here is terrible, we have had a very warm and wet winter but they say winter will finally get here this week.

Sugar Creek":37oeso2l said:
Thanks Alabamacowman
Calf is still looking good, cast is dry and no apparrent drainage. Worst thing is keeping the cow up all this time, she sure would like to go out and join the rest. I think I will try and remove the cast at about 16 days after the break.
Mud here is terrible, we have had a very warm and wet winter but they say winter will finally get here this week.
put a good tight vet wrap on it and he'll be fine no sence trowing good money after bad. a broken leg on a calf aint as bad as you think . now get any higher than that different story.but he should heal fine. probably never be able to tell it ;-)

Latest posts