Broadhead question.

Help Support CattleToday:

denvermartinfarms

Reaction score
I heard the other day that Oregon and another couple states don't allow mechanical broadheads. Has anyone questioned that and got a answer for why they won't let you use them? I can't figure out why there would be such a law.

It's been many years since I have done any archery hunting, but back in the day that is correct no mechanical broad heads. I'm a summing your referring to the spring loaded broad heads. Don't know why and I never asked, I was a young man in my hunting days and a hunting trip was as much about buddies, beer and camping. I also don't know what the current regs are. Not much help, but...

I heard just the other day that it's still a law and is in other places to. I like them better, infact they are all I shoot anymore.

Denver, if you search, there is a thread on here. I think a few mentioned they had lost deer to them not expanding and some states started outlawing them after they had been legal. One guy relayed a similar story last time I was in an archery store. He said they got the buck in rifle season and the broadhead hadn't expanded. Of course, I don't know any particulars about any of these failures and what might have been associated- distance, angle, poundage, structures hit, etc...

Takes less to tune them. I shot a couple deer with them and didn't have any trouble, but it sounds like more than a few have.

Less penetration. Especially on bigger game like Elk etc. The only thing I use Mech. heads for are Turkeys as I don't want them to go through the bird. B&G

I've shot alot of deer with them, they always go all the way through and leave a big hole. I guess I've just had good luck.

denvermartinfarms":3nzsvt13 said:
I heard the other day that Oregon and another couple states don't allow mechanical broadheads. Has anyone questioned that and got a answer for why they won't let you use them? I can't figure out why there would be such a law.

Cause most of them suck is why.
If couldn't use a two blade Zwickey or Mangus I am not hunting.

Caustic Burno":1q0rlc1y said:
denvermartinfarms":1q0rlc1y said:

Cause most of them suck is why.
If couldn't use a two blade Zwickey or Mangus I am not hunting.

The only thing I don't like about them is I've helped track deer that were shot with those type heads and they didn't leave much if any blood trail. It seemed like they kinda closed up after the shot. But they are sure killers. B&G

Lot of them need more kinetic energy than the bow they are shooting has to open properly
or people taking way too long of shots.
Just because you can drill a target at fifty yards doesn't mean you have the energy to punch through.
There was a video documentary made of the different styles of broadheads.
The typical sharp two blade took 7 lbs to penetrate a deer hide.
Some of the fixed three,four blade and mechanical took as much as 36 pounds.
Most of those broad heads are made to catch the deer hunter.

I think I have posted extensively on this subject before so I am not going to re-hash all of that. I do know that when my fixed blade broad heads leave my bow the blades are deployed......100% of the time. Yes it takes a bit more patience and knowledge to tune fixed blades to fly right out of todays high speed set-ups but it is worth it. If I do my part and hit the animal in the kill zone the broad head will kill it 100% of the time.

I know that they are illegal here in Washington. I am not a bow hunter so I have no idea why but I did read in the regulations that they are illegal. Here you have to decide on archery, black powder, or modern. You only get to hunt with one of them and they have separate seasons. I figure that the Indians gave up using the bow and arrow when the white man came along with guns.

Dave":cos59qvj said:
I know that they are illegal here in Washington. I am not a bow hunter so I have no idea why but I did read in the regulations that they are illegal. Here you have to decide on archery, black powder, or modern. You only get to hunt with one of them and they have separate seasons. I figure that the Indians gave up using the bow and arrow when the white man came along with guns.

It's a little different skill set and a pretty big accomplishment to get your first deer or a big buck with archery.

Your killing range goes from hundreds of yards in all directions to possibly a window out to ~ 30 yards. Not only does fate have to work out that they present in themselves at the right place when you are there, but you have to bring the bow to full draw, be able to hold it long enough to aim and release with the deer in a position that allows a shot.

Getting into that tight quarters with a wise white tail or elk is a feat of itself, but for everything else to go well is all together another story.

It's an achievement. Stalking to me is even more challenging. I've been successful but it's a rare day.

Commercialfarmer":335u97xj said:
Dave":335u97xj said:

It's a little different skill set and a pretty big accomplishment to get your first deer or a big buck with archery.

Your killing range goes from hundreds of yards in all directions to possibly a window out to ~ 30 yards. Not only does fate have to work out that they present in themselves at the right place when you are there, but you have to bring the bow to full draw, be able to hold it long enough to aim and release with the deer in a position that allows a shot.

Getting into that tight quarters with a wise white tail or elk is a feat of itself, but for everything else to go well is all together another story.

It's an achievement. Stalking to me is even more challenging. I've been successful but it's a rare day.

That level goes up about another ten fold when you hunt primitive.
That is a rush when you take one longest shot was 18 steps.

Caustic Burno":3viwfbvf said:
Commercialfarmer":3viwfbvf said:
Dave":3viwfbvf said:

That level goes up about another ten fold when you hunt primitive.
That is a rush when you take one longest shot was 18 steps.

I live in a state where you are limited to one deer per year with pretty short seasons. The hunter success rate on deer is about 20% and slightly less than 10% on elk. I don't know that I need to make things more difficult. On the other side of the coin, my youngest son and his hunting partner both hunt elk with archery. They both get a bull elk every year.

I'm with you on those odds Dave.

When an out of state tag costs several hundred bucks, I don't think I could pull the trigger on archery season (I've only pulled the trigger on rifle once, hoping to go again next year or the year after) If I was still in state, I might do it once every 5 to 10 years or so.

At least I think I'd like to hunt elk by archery. I don't know if I could control the shakes getting that close. Hearing them bugle is something though.

CB, I never have taken one with primitive. Built my own self bow several years back. There were fewer deer back then and I got tired of watching them go by just out of my comfort zone so I went back to compound. I started to get back into primitive and my shoulder's started acting up. I think I have them under control now, so when things pan out to get some time I may start shooting again.

Commercialfarmer":18t8yx1h said:
CB, I never have taken one with primitive. Built my own self bow several years back. There were fewer deer back then and I got tired of watching them go by just out of my comfort zone so I went back to compound. I started to get back into primitive and my shoulder's started acting up. I think I have them under control now, so when things pan out to get some time I may start shooting again.

Self bow will make your heart beat, closest shot I ever made and one of the hardest was six yards.
That was one heck of an angle and the ladder stand I was in you needed a pilots license.

Latest posts