Bringing my first steers home

Help Support CattleToday:

CaterFarms

Reaction score
Hello, I am being 2- 6 month old steers home to a new pasture in a couple days. I have one acre sections fenced off. Is there anything special I should do? Will I be okay just letting the two steers have one acre pasture right away? Thanks.

Make sure they are or have been properly vaccinated and that they have free choice salt and mineral and plenty of water. How is the pasture on the one-acre? What type of grass and have they been on grass before you get them (I am wondering if you need to give them a high mag mineral if it is fescue).

PS...It helps to put your location.

I am in southwest Michigan. They have been vaccinated and the pasture is good. Planted with alfalfa mix a couple years ago.

I always lock new animals up for several days or a week before turning them out. A couple six month old calves will find weak spots in the fence that you may never notice. Some time locked up in a pen lets them settle a bit first.

sstterry said:
Make sure they are or have been properly vaccinated and that they have free choice salt and mineral and plenty of water. How is the pasture on the one-acre? What type of grass and have they been on grass before you get them (I am wondering if you need to give them a high mag mineral if it is fescue).

I hope a vet will chime in here but I keep seeing suggested to keep out high mag for calves. I have never seen grass tetnus in a calf. Only in cows with small calves 6 weeks old or less. Am I missing something?

kenny thomas said:
sstterry said:

I hope a vet will chime in here but I keep seeing suggested to keep out high mag for calves. I have never seen grass tetanus in a calf. Only in cows with small calves 6 weeks old or less. Am I missing something?

We don't see it down here unless the pastures have been decently fertilized and lots and lots of new growth. As to the cow-calf thing I will defer to the experts because you guys know way more than me.

Yep....lots you should do...

If they are 2 to 6 months, the 2 you have miles of work to do, if 6 and they are coming off momma...you have a lot to do too ...

2 months old need mild twuce a day....the others are old enough too wean...but if just of mothers...I suggest milk and a quick wean.

Pellets or starter will be needed......

So, yeah, you betta get busy learning or they will wither if not already weaned properly.....which 2 months old could not be...

My wife is a vet. I may get this slightly wrong but should be mostly right. Grass tetany is only an issue for newly lactating cows just turned out on spring grass. High mag mineral isn't needed for just calves.

KAstocker said:
My wife is a vet. I may get this slightly wrong but should be mostly right. Grass tetany is only an issue for newly lactating cows just turned out on spring grass. High mag mineral isn't needed for just calves.

Don't be a stranger. We need more folks like you to contribute!

MurraysMutts said:
Ever chase an unweaned 6 month old heifer 5 miles in a vw bug?
I HAVE!

Still own her too. And 3 of her daughters.

Good times....
Good times....
I'm laughing , because I can see it happening

Truck ignition had just quit, when she decided to make a run for it. A single hot wire ain't sheet for a scared unweaned heifer, let me tell u!
I watched her jump hotwires like a deer!
Under 6 wire fences.
Thru 5 wire fences.
We went down a corn field and back.
Thru several wheat fields.
Along the road.
Traveled ditches waiting for her pop back out.
The pond down the road is named after her. Never seen a cow swim b4. Like a fish!
Shes the first one we ever owned. Traded some hay for her. Liked that so much, we've spent lots of money buying more! Lmao
Get cows they said.
Itll be fun they said!
It certainly has been! Every step of the way!

Um....at least I can do without that sort of fun......

Bad enough when calves escape yards....young and playfull....they think it is great getting me to chase them around.....I usually wait till they stop the games now.......

Latest posts