Bring her in

Help Support CattleToday:

lancemart

Reaction score
Is it better to have a heiffer give birth in the field or in the barn. I was thinking about taking her in a few days before she is scheduled to calf. I wanted to keep her in for about a month so I can handle the calf. It makes it easier to administer shots etc. when they come to me. Please let me know the Pros and cons.

Better to calve outside in familiar surroundings then in a barn.

I like to calve inside this time of year. Had one calve a couple of days ago outside. it was 40 degrees and raining, 4 hours later it was 10 degrees and snowing. It turned out okay but I didn't sleep good that night.

~~

Lancemart,

When is your heifer due ?

If its soon, give her access to the barn or bring herin.

It is a very very chilly 7 degrees here and solid ice on the ground everywhere.
I would not risk losing a calf.
And, this is her first time.

If she is due in May/June - and you do NOT have a coyote problem--then let her calve in the field, if its near your house and you can watch her.

Single cows having calves, without a herd to help protect them, are more susceptable to coyote preditation.

Put a calf halter on the calf and work with it several times a day--every time you call your cow in for a treat.

I prefer to have our herd calve on clean ground, but we also give them access to our very large 3 sided barn--in the barnlot so we can keep an eye on them.

With all this crazy weather, this winter, its hard to know what is going to happen next, so our plan now is to keep the cows closer to the barn area with less access to the snowy fields.

You have to make adjustments according to weather, situation ( heifer/no herd ), and the amount of time you are willing to spend checking on a first calf heifer.

Lots of variables.

We adjust our plan accordingly.

#1 Goal is for a live, healthy, viable calf and a healthy mom.

Hope this helps.

Given the weather and the time of year, I would bring her in as well. Ours calf outside, but they calf in May. I would not keep them in the barn for a month as you mentioned. Couple days at the most, then get that baby out. Is best if she can come in ahead of time to get used to the place, as you say. It will stress her to be away from the herd.

We calve outside. With heifers we keep them in a small pasture or lot so we can get them in if they have trouble. Even then, we pull calves outside. Very few of our cows have EVER seen the inside of a barn. We have calved in 20 degrees below zero many times. As long as the calves get up and suck, they do fine. Our cattle are tough, and used to the environment in which they are born, so are yours. However, if I had the room to bring all my heifers inside, I probably would. Just don't have a building big enough. If I was only running a few cows, they would most likely be spoiled rotten.

I always let them calve in the field. Cleaner and less germs than in the barn. Of course the weather is much different here too. We calved some in the barn early on and had higher health problems. Local old timer saw them while visiting and recommended letting them calve out in the pasture. We haven't had many sick calves since then.

Yes, is better to let them calf outside weather permitting. I don;t think cold is an issue as much as cold AND wet.

That being said s/he expressed a desire to be able to handle the calf. Regardless of weather, once those babies hit the ground running, its hard to get a handle on them if they are not contained in some way I think.

We allow our cows access to the barn during the really hard weather so that they are familiar with the OB stall and bring them in when the weather is nasty. Right now we're having a slow thaw during the day and freezing at night so its mud all over and rain on the way.
Calved one on Thursday and will kick them out next week.
We let the gals calve in the pasture when the weather is better.
And thats my two bits worth. DMc

In spring when the weather is nice I like to calve them outside in the field , but time of the year I like to get them in the barn so I can watch them better , especially if it's a first calfer. Once I know everything is ok with the calf , out they go.

Lance if this is a Holstein you are talking about bring her in.Make sure your barn is spotless and that she has clean bedding all the time.If you handle the calf everyday and momma is calm around you, you should have no problem being able to work with the baby.

Susie's pet horned Herf was acting a bit ancy yesterday....brought her in the barn...calved about ten PM...baldy heifer calf. Always easier in the barn,
DMc

Susie's pet horned Herf was acting a bit ancy yesterday....brought her in the barn...calved about ten PM...baldy heifer calf. Always easier in the barn,
DMc

Latest posts