Breeding with Terminal Sire

Help Support CattleToday:

lucky7chief

Reaction score
I currently run about 90 cows in cenral MO. I retain my own heifers and have been using Balancer bulls with good success. A local Angus breeder offers to buy back feeder calves at a premium if you purchase their bulls. If I keep my own heifers, I'll eventually have straight Angus cows. I'm a firm believer in the benefits of crossbred cows, so I would look for another source of heifers. I'm thinking of splitting the herd into 2 groups (55 and 35 cows). I'd buy heifers of Breed A to add to the smaller herd. Then, I'd use a bull of Breed B on them. I would save heifers from the smaller herd for the larger herd. I would then use the Angus bulls on the large herd.

I'm looking for suggestions on what Breeds A and B should be. My first thoughts are Gelbvieh and Hereford.

If you are going to work with the seedstock supplier who wants to buy back your calves. Go visit with him about this topic. I am sure he will have a good idea of what he wants to feed. Heck he probably has a good customer who would be able to supply you with the type of heifers you are looking for. Take advantage of this guy as it looks like he will help you out to keep you as a customer. By working together, you, him, and possibly another customer of his with the heifers will all be more than happy if this goes through and you all can make a little money at the end of the day.

BRG,

That's a great idea. I hadn't thought about that. Sometimes we lose sight of thinking about our customers. My concern is they will only have Angus based heifers available. I'd like to keep as much heterosis as possible.

They may have a customer who has half Angus and half something else that will fit both you and him.

If your females will be Angus based using a Limousin bull would compliment them well. A Limousin bull would add pounds to your calf crop with added muscle complimenting the Angus breed's marbling ability. They would also help you maintain your hybrid vigor.

A bull from any breed could add "headieness". I don't know about many of the other breeds, but the Limousin breed has a docility epd. If you chose a Limousin bull look back in his pedigree and see how proven of a docility epd the sires in his lineage have. I would encourage any bull buyer purchasing a bull of any breed to investigate how calm the bloodlines of their prospective bull are. Breeds have come a long way figuring out how to breed calm cattle. Use the resources.

I agree that not all limo's are created equal. My first purchased are not bad to handle, but I did not know enough to check the disposition of any cow purchased.
I found the limos in the middle of the group. My last limos purchased, I used disposition as equally important as the other qualities I wanted. I tagged their calves right next to them with no problems, and they have been some of the easiet handling I have had. My point is that any breed can be good or bad, but if docility is a concern, then make good, careful decesions about your purchases. Any cow I end up with that has a temperment problem with is not long for my place, just long enough for the next sale, and could be isolated in a corral, to keep bad habits from my herd. Most of us don't have facilities or time to deal with problem cattle.

Good luck,
Rick

Limousin was the first breed with a doctilty epd and the breeders have done a great job with limousin doctilty. There plenty of other breeds out there that could use them. Angus has got one now i here. What a few cattle did twenty years ago still stero types the breed today. Had a fullblood cow calve this afternoon scratched the calves head ,checked under his tail and weighed him 81lb, she just stood there and looked at me done all this in the pasture. Thats not to say they are all that way but alot more is than isn't now days.

Lucky Chief 7 if it was me i would use a fullblood limousin bull on herford cows and come back on that cross with angus bull.

Lucky7,

I'd say you've got the right idea going with some gelbvieh cows and put a good Hereford bull on them to make replacements. I've never messed with that cross, but the two breeds would seem to compliment each other well as long as you could get some consistency.

I am also from central MO and know of the ranch you are speaking, when you talk about them buying back the calves. My brothers and Dad are in the process of going that route also. They bought a couple of good bulls in the sale last month, lots 2 and 243 if you have a catalog. I also know the guys at the ranch fairly well and I know they are also doing lots of testing using their purebred angus commercial cows and a few very good Hereford bulls. I spoke with one of the ranch hands after the sale to ask how their testing is going and to see if the baldy calves were performing as well as their straight bred angus calves. He said I didn't even need to ask, all I had to do was go look at the group and I would know that there is NO DOUBT that the baldy calves are performing as well or better. These guys are all about carcass and I wouldn't think you could go wrong with a 3/4 english, 1/4 continental steer come harvest time.

I don't know any Gelbvieh breeders off the top of my head in this area, but if you need help finding a good Hereford bull to put on them, let me know and I'll see if I can help you out.

BTW, what town do you live near? If you don't want to say on the board, feel free to PM me.

thanks,

Latest posts