Breeding my Daughters Horse

Help Support CattleToday:

aplusmnt

Reaction score
Well my daughter has talked me into letting her breed her horse. She has a white horse, not sure what breed probably a little quarter horse in it. The horse is white with some grey on mane and a couple spots on face.

When we got the horse a few years ago she came bred (did not know it) and had a white colt, not sure what it was bred to though. It has been say almost 4 years since she had that colt.

My question is we have found a couple studs to breed her to in the area. But curious what I should do before taking her to them? Should she have a visit to the vet to make sure she is good to go? Or would she most likely be OK with having the colt 4 years ago?

Also how do you know when to take the horse to the stud? Use to cows riding each other but totally in dark on the horse deal.

Also wondering about coloration options on a white horse like this. Is there any way to predict or control the color the colt will be? One stud we are considering is a paint.

Any suggestions on how to proceed and color options would be appreciated!

aplusmnt":1xraz0l1 said:
Well my daughter has talked me into letting her breed her horse. She has a white horse, not sure what breed probably a little quarter horse in it. The horse is white with some grey on mane and a couple spots on face.

When we got the horse a few years ago she came bred (did not know it) and had a white colt, not sure what it was bred to though. It has been say almost 4 years since she had that colt.

My question is we have found a couple studs to breed her to in the area. But curious what I should do before taking her to them? Should she have a visit to the vet to make sure she is good to go? Or would she most likely be OK with having the colt 4 years ago?

Also how do you know when to take the horse to the stud? Use to cows riding each other but totally in dark on the horse deal.

Also wondering about coloration options on a white horse like this. Is there any way to predict or control the color the colt will be? One stud we are considering is a paint.

Aplus,

Horses cycle just like cows, but they don't ride anything. They just become irritable from my experience. Do you have any other horses with the mare, that may tip you off to when she is cycling? If not, you may have to bring her to the stud and let them board her for you. Big stud farms have teaser stallions that will help bring a mare in heat.

I don't think having a foal 4 years ago would be any problem. I would have her checked out by your vet before she goes to make sure she's in tip top shape, and up to date on all vaccinations, including coggins. I always worm my horses before they leave the place, and when they get back.

For horses, white(gray) is the dominant color similar to black is with cattle. Any color stallion you breed her to will have a good chance of being white/gray. If you breed her to a paint, the foal will almost always be a paint. I say almost always because I had a paint mare (1/2 Tenn. walker) that was bred to a paint stallion, and had a chestnut foal. Go figure. Anyways with cattle white is a diluter, but not the same with horses, it's dominant. After white, bay is the next dominant color.

Good luck

aplusmnt":kkelteox said:

I believe I would have her checked out before trying to breed her just to be on the safe side and help to ensure a healthy foal.

Do you have any geldings around? If so, a mare in heat will turn her butt towards a gelding and act like she is urinating, but only produce a small stream, accompanied by a lot of winking of the vulva - she may also do this to another mare, but not always. She will 'flirt' (for lack of a better word, here) with the gelding as well, little nips and paying attention to him - sometimes with her ears cocked forward and sometimes with her ears layed back. She will also be more unpredictable and testy than she usually is - although the degree of testiness will vary from mare to mare. Guys - if you could forgo the usual crass comments it would be appreciated! :p :lol: :lol: Thanks.

I can't help you with this - never had a white horse, sorry.

Cypress and Mss.....thanks for the comments! We do not have any other horses on the place, we have five mules, three geldings and a mare and a pony mare. I have never really noticed her and the geldings responding to each other. Even though one gelding is obviously in love with her, he goes crazy when she is gone from him.

Based on you guys comments I think I will just get her checked out. Need to have coggins papers updated on her anyway. And then get the guy to board her and take care of it for me. We will probably go the Paint Stallion route, because it is a friend of ours that has him and he will make us a pretty good deal financially for the stud fee and boarding cost. I am pretty fond of paints anyway and sounds like this will increase the odds of getting something with some color then.

I was not wanting another riding animal, can not keep up with riding all we have and I hate to have a mule or horse that does not get ridden, just a waste of a good animal. But when daughter ask me if she can save her money and buy a boy horse so Snowy (her horse) could have a baby it is hard to turn her down on a new colt. :)

Just a quick note, Aplus;

If she is actually technically 'gray' in coat colour (a horse that turns white the older it gets), there is a strong possiblity that if you breed her to a Paint, the paint will be born 'coloured', but will also go gray as it ages. This is great if you like grays, but not so great if you like paint/pinto marked horses.

Also, in Paint horses the Tobiano colour pattern tends to be more dominant, so if breeding for colour may want to consider them (Overos are my favourite, but kind of tricky when it comes to passing down the white markings to their offspring).

Which ever way you go with your mare, I bet your daughter will have a great time with the mare and foal.

Take care.

aplusmnt said:

quote]

You can give her a shot to bring her into heat and make things better for your schedule. You should have her checked by the vet before breeding, so ask about the heat shot. She should be in standing heat for three to six days unlike cattle, and should be bred every-other day if you are hand breeding. Many people board the mare with the stallion owner until she is bred. I would haul my horse every other day because the stallion I use is so close and the owner was there every evening.

CattleAnnie":2eo99fwq said:
Just a quick note, Aplus;

If she is actually technically 'gray' in coat colour (a horse that turns white the older it gets), there is a strong possiblity that if you breed her to a Paint, the paint will be born 'coloured', but will also go gray as it ages. This is great if you like grays, but not so great if you like paint/pinto marked horses.

Also, in Paint horses the Tobiano colour pattern tends to be more dominant, so if breeding for colour may want to consider them (Overos are my favourite, but kind of tricky when it comes to passing down the white markings to their offspring).

Which ever way you go with your mare, I bet your daughter will have a great time with the mare and foal.

Take care.

I am not sure what color she would be. She is real white with just a hint of grey on tail, and has a couple grey spots on her face like a brockle faced calf. Her last colt was brown as a baby and then withing a year or year and a half turned snow white.

And I am sure my daughter will be in love with any colt, the last colt hurt its back leg and after trying save it I ended up having to shoot her. It was the hardest thing I ever did, because of how much my daughter loved her.

dianab, thanks for the comment! I was wondering if there was a way to narrow her heat down, much like the Cidr's in cows.

aplusmnt":29iod3bw said:
dianab, thanks for the comment! I was wondering if there was a way to narrow her heat down, much like the Cidr's in cows.

If you use the CIDR you probably have lutalyse. That is what you use to bring the mare in heat, though the dose is much lower. Many vets will give one shot I don't remember exactly, but I think about 2cc. I use the two shot protocol. You give two tenths cc (0.2 cc) twice 24 hours apart. With the lower dose, you avoid the cramping and sweating that the older protocol causes.

aplusmnt":32cu9bva said:

You have gotten some pretty good advise in my opinion. Horses cycle about every 21 days or so. Watch for her vulva "winking" and that will tell you when she is in heat, although a lot of mares do it just after they urinate. If she was mine I wouldn't worry about the shot to bring her into heat I would just let your friend keep her, lots of times just teasing them with a stallion will bring them into heat.

Cattleannie is right on the money with the two types of color patterns in paints. If the stud is an Overo you have about 50% chance of comming out solid or paint. Tobiano's have a better chance of being colored.

Make sure you worm her and update her on the shots before you breed her. Coggins is wise also. You also want the vet to do a culture on her to check for infection, if she has a infection she won't hold the fetus, but it is easily cleared up with anti-biotics. Also do yourself and your friend a favor and have her checked for STD's. Don't want to give anything to the stud, or vise versa.

Sounds like alot but it's not that bad.

Good luck,
Alan

Alan":249gaueh said:
aplusmnt":249gaueh said:

You have gotten some pretty good advise in my opinion. Horses cycle about every 21 days or so. Watch for her vulva "winking" and that will tell you when she is in heat, although a lot of mares do it just after they urinate. If she was mine I wouldn't worry about the shot to bring her into heat I would just let your friend keep her, lots of times just teasing them with a stallion will bring them into heat.

Cattleannie is right on the money with the two types of color patterns in paints. If the stud is an Overo you have about 50% chance of comming out solid or paint. Tobiano's have a better chance of being colored.

Make sure you worm her and update her on the shots before you breed her. Coggins is wise also. You also want the vet to do a culture on her to check for infection, if she has a infection she won't hold the fetus, but it is easily cleared up with anti-biotics. Also do yourself and your friend a favor and have her checked for STD's. Don't want to give anything to the stud, or vise versa.

Sounds like alot but it's not that bad.

Good luck,
Alan

Thanks Alan some more good advice! I will just do as you guys all say and should be no problems.

Now if you guys could just tell me how to get the wife to fix some fence for me tomorrow I will be all set :D

aplusmnt":370uv3ls said:
Now if you guys could just tell me how to get the wife to fix some fence for me tomorrow I will be all set :D

I usually find that asking nicely works very well. ;-)

msscamp":12chlt30 said:
aplusmnt":12chlt30 said:

Dang, that is where I been going wrong. I been telling her to get er done now! I might have to try that gentle, nice way once to see if it works.

msscamp":2n6vlv9w said:
aplusmnt":2n6vlv9w said:

Yeah right, hasn't yet.

Alan

aplusmnt":nmippv4a said:

You could try the one my husband always uses on me. "Honey, you do that so much better than I." :lol:

dianab":2xj5alql said:
aplusmnt":2xj5alql said:

You could try the one my husband always uses on me. "Honey, you do that so much better than I." :lol:

Usually I just screw it up till the wife says, "get out of my way you are doing it wrong" then I get that confused look on my face and step back drinking a glass of tea and let her do it :lol:

Latest posts