Breeding heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

TripleB

Reaction score
Was just wondering if anyone has had a heifer bred at 9 coming on 10 months. Was there any problems calving?
My heifer got into the bull pen and I think she is just coming in heat. Don't know if she was bred or not. She must weigh between 500 and 600 lbs. now.

I have had them bred that early but I gave them a shot to abort them, that small of a heifer I would say yes she will have problems.

TripleB":5q2mfrb5 said:
What kind of shot? And could I get it from a vet?

Lutalyse (PGF2). Ask the vet about the proper timing of it. Too soon after breeding it won;t do any good and too late after implantation it may not be effective.

dun

Estrumate and Prostamate will also work.

wait atleast 7 days, but give before 90 days was my vets recommendation. The sooner the better after the initial 7 days.

Not unusual for heifers to breed at 9-10 months. She's small, I would give her the shot.

just remember that the shot will also make them come in heat again. within a week or so. keep her away from the bull pen.
it is cheaper the shot cost me $20. pulling a calf from a 16 month old heifer $100+.

Yep.. I would give her the shot... thats too young to breed. If your wondering if she is bred.. put her up with another heifer about the same age... and before long, you can tell if they were bred or not.

There May Be Some Problems Like The Heifers Growth Also If The Bull Is A Calving Ease Bull, But Other Then That You Should Be Alright In The Wild There Where No Ranchers Stoping When A Heifer Gets Bred. Most Ranchers Wait Aleat 14 Months

Latest posts