Breeding age of brahman influenced heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

fourstates

Reaction score
I have never worried or had a problem with my heifers calving too young. I have never seen a bull show any interest in a heifer until she was about 14-16 months of age. All these posts about calving too young has me wondering if brahmen based cattle are exempt from this problem?

fourstates":xkiynsu4 said:
I have never worried or had a problem with my heifers calving too young. I have never seen a bull show any interest in a heifer until she was about 14-16 months of age. All these posts about calving too young has me wondering if brahmen based cattle are exempt from this problem?

I wouldn't use the term "exempt" unless I knocked on wood immediately afterwards but enough brahman influence will, as a general rule, delay maturity a bit and reduce birth weights as well. Our heifers that are a nominal 3/4 brahman may calve at anywhere between 24 months and 32 months. Oh, and that spread I just cited is between two full sisters. They are averaging 26-28 months.

brahmans mature later but depending on the cross could breed earlier.mine are 3/8 or less, i don't take chances i keep them seperate from the bull.

I have some yearling reg. brahman heifers coming in heat now. Brahman influenced or pure bred are not exempt. I have had some bull fertile and breeding at 18 months. Slow maturing I think is mostly in growth to maturity. I do not allow my heifers to bred until they are 2 years old. I like them to be able to be all they can be.

My brangus heifers regularly begin cycling at 10 months although not allowed to breed. Also sold one young brangus bull last year 14 months old that tested very fertile.

my experiance was, some began cycling before others. seems like the grays were quicker to began then my red/ indu.but i had one paticular one that began yearly and she passed it on to every female ive kept and these were all crossbred.. but i alway had too keep em extra fleshy . the only calving problem i ever had from my brahman was one malpresentation.

TNMasterBeefProducer":36anm0f2 said:
I have heifers in my herd that begin cycling at around 8-9 months old. I wean em at seven months old and get them all shot with lute.
Exactly.. I just had one Beefmaster X heifer cycle right at 71/2 months, and then bred.
Do full blood angus heifers generally cycle sooner than cross breeds?

Latest posts