breeding a heifer on first heat

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno":1ywqwx0u said:
Some people will feed a dud cow that hasn't cycled by 15 months are keeping pets and are not ranching. Get a fox terrier!
First rule for hobby farmers wanting to be cattlemen learn to cull.
============
Caustic,
What is the age cutoff you apply for an angus heifer that has not cycled the first tme?

Bama":14mkzqsz said:
The tenderloin goes down better than crow. Caustic is one of the most imformative folks here on this board. He can come across harsh at times but you gotta admit he is always to the point. I like that in a person. I expect people to be up front with me. I agree with him on most all of his post. I too cull problems, its the best form of prevention I have found.
========

Agreed on Caustic..(r u sure it is not Sarcustic?) :lol: Bet he's a Texan...any takers? :eek:

Ignore...the directness...and look for substance...which is usually there.
I too enjoy his posts. Keep 'em coming Caustic.

And before you respond....we know you don't need, want, desire,wish for accolades. We just appreciate subsance. 8)

preston39":37rxycmn said:
Caustic Burno":37rxycmn said:
Some people will feed a dud cow that hasn't cycled by 15 months are keeping pets and are not ranching. Get a fox terrier!
============
Caustic,
What is the age cutoff you apply for an angus heifer that has not cycled the first tme?

Now on these fine English cattle you better watch those little boogers, they will start cycling as early as six months. Now to the question they had better cycle by 12 months at the latest. Now some of the hobby boys have got these cows to fat to cycle.

And your right I am a Texan 6th generation.

Caustic Burno":1y6113zb said:
preston39":1y6113zb said:
Caustic Burno":1y6113zb said:
============
Caustic,

Now on these fine English cattle you better watch those little boogers, they will start cycling as early as six months. Now to the question they had better cycle by 12 months at the latest. Now some of the hobby boys have got these cows to fat to cycle.

============
Yep..condition is value when breeding time arrives.

We want a cycle by 10-12 mos... and breed the first after 13-14 mos...baby at 24 mos. ROI within 3 years.(Thats a long time...comes to mind...each year when we do the numbers). Heck of an investment!

preston39":324rsume said:
Caustic Burno":324rsume said:
preston39":324rsume said:
Caustic Burno":324rsume said:
============
Caustic,

============
Yep..condition is value when breeding time arrives.

We want a cycle by 10-12 mos... and breed the first after 13-14 mos...baby at 24 mos. ROI within 3 years.(Thats a long time...comes to mind...each year when we do the numbers). Heck of an investment!

Sounds like a smart Cattleman you always have to look at ROCE.
Average Cow cost 1000 return on average calf 500 dollars. The way I figure after upkeep I'm in to the forth calf before profit.

Thanks for the replys. Our heifer cycled naturally and was bred yesterday. Now it is just wait 21 days and see. Still don't know if this was her first cycle. This girl had a rough time though the winter. Long story there. Circumstances beyond our control. I think that may have influenced her cycling or not cycling. Now she is packing on the weight...over 4 pounds per day on belly deep rye grass pasture.

Can those early maturing british breeds do that?

Farmie,
way to go. like another poster said, sometimes those continental breeds mature later (especially charolais and limousins it seems, not so much simmental though...anyway). but yeah those british breeds are usually packing on the weight too, they already have a calf growing inside of them and are retaining water.

I had a calve today from a Heftier that is only 16-month-old. I thought I had got her away from a bull earl enough... but evidently, I didn't. Calf and mom are doing fine.

Latest posts