Breedback Success on First Calvers

Help Support CattleToday:

I basically do exactly what you do Vic but don't seem to have any problems. Last year 5 out of 6 1st calvers seem to have taken to AI, one of them I caught by heat detecting 3 wks later. The year before I got 4 of 6 and one of them I missed had a rectovaginal tear I found when went to inseminate. I synch with cidrs using a 10 day protocol but I do have the luxury of being able to use Ciderol (Oestrogen) when inserting cidrs and then again at 48hrs to those that are not showing standing heat. The Ciderol is supposed to give the ovaries a bit of a tickle up and is what was used originally with the work done on developing the protocals. When they took that away from you guys you had to start using other stuff which I believe is a poor 2nd.
Ken

TexasBred":2y8omczd said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2y8omczd said:
Nice to see you posting Vic.
TT since ol' Vic retired he don't visit with us much. Too much time fishing, hunting and chasing the wife around the house I reckon. :mrgreen:

I like hearing good reports like that. Makes me even more anxious for retirement.

Dave":18ryy8kv said:
TexasBred":18ryy8kv said:
chasing the wife around the house I reckon. :mrgreen:

I like hearing good reports like that. Makes me even more anxious for retirement.
Problem for some is remembering what to do if he catches her

dun":1ytgt2g3 said:
Dave":1ytgt2g3 said:
TexasBred":1ytgt2g3 said:
chasing the wife around the house I reckon. :mrgreen:

Problem for some is remembering what to do if he catches her

Luckily we kept the instruction manual just in case.........and yes I like retirement. The only real work I do is with the cows and that never feels like work.

already ahead of last year on bull calves and they are some good ones. Can't wait for the natural service girls to pop so I can see what my homegrown bull throws.

TennesseeTuxedo":34o1smn7 said:
Nice to see you posting Vic.

thanks. I just haven't' had much to talk about but this bugs me and I really appreciate everyone's suggestions. We are having a very early spring but I think I will still up the carbs a bit and see if that helps.

You are not alone in having issues with getting 1st time calvers to rebreed. It seems that universally that is the most difficult time to rebreed early or on time. I have had some issues with some cows and heifers being late or open for the last couple of years. I'm sure that your herds mineral requirements are met and probably exceeded, and this probably doesn't apply. A friend of mine that had a dairy asked me about how the pregnancy check of heifers went, I told him there were some open. He told me he had those problems until he started feeding chelated mineral. One of my first posts on here, I asked folks about Multi Min 90, I have been hearing lots of folks speak highly of it and how it helps with conception rates. I had asked on here about it, and if there were issues or added benefits to using it in conjunction with chelated minerals. I got a lot of good information and insight from folks about it.

Last spring I had 10 first calf heifers to breed back. I was strongly considering just throwing them out with the bull to get them bred back quickly, but I decided to throw CIDR's in them and give them one round of TAI. All but 2 stuck to AI. The ones that stuck....some lost a week or two on their calving, but some moved up a week or two. I tried to set them up so that everything was about 45-60 days post calving. I put them in their own pen about 2 weeks after calving and fed them a little bit better, but not much. I really think the CIDR helped. Prior to using the CIDR I always just tried to catch them in a natural heat thinking that would be better. I'll use the CIDR protocol again this year for sure. Then I just reuse those CIDR's on cows that calved a little later to try and move them up.

they claim a shot of multi min will help on breed back,i think they wanted it 60 days ahead of breeding,seems more and more people using it

Timed AI you will have better success on repeats and you can still natural service the misses, and make your breeding dates. it just takes a little planning.

bse":301huveb said:
Id sync my heifers 3 weeks later than normal instead of earlier. Then after they calve there won't be as much time for them to loose condition before breed back as a first calving heifer. It helps around here and there still right with the cows.
My last 2 heifers to calve last year were the the first to calve this year the last 1 to calve was some where around 4/20 last year and 2/19 this year that almost seems impossible to me

double v":2uvnbx5p said:
Timed AI you will have better success on repeats and you can still natural service the misses, and make your breeding dates. it just takes a little planning.

The three from last year were all synched and bred on observed heats...all 3 failed to conceive. They are all 3 going to end up calving at least a month after my AI older cows.

I am willing to bet that since they're later now, and there's less time for them to get 'sucked down', they'll breed back just fine this year.

Latest posts