Breed Suggestions

Help Support CattleToday:

mmiv

Reaction score
After HLSR my Star 5 show heifer is going back to the breeder so I'm trying to decide what breed to get next. My main concern is that it has short hair. What are yalls suggestions? I'm located about a half hour north east of Houston, Texas. I've been leaning towards gerts b/c i really liked my star5 but I'm close friends with a beefmaster(who i got my star5 from) breeder and I know of a braunvieh breeder lives not to far away and has offered me my pick of his heifers to show.

Mostly anyone is going to try and sell you on "their" breed. In my case, Angus. But what do you plan on using the animal for? Breeding, show, etc?

Look at a purebred Santa Gertrudis, Brangus, Beefmaster or Brahman. The Santa Gertrudis association has an excellent youth program. Just to be fair, the Brahman, Beefmaster and Brangus associations also have good junior programs. Get involved and participate in regional and national junior shows. You will meet a lot of good friends.

If I was going to raise cattle in Texas I would raise brangus or beefmaster.

LoveMoo11":2e5b85qv said:
Mostly anyone is going to try and sell you on "their" breed. In my case, Angus. But what do you plan on using the animal for? Breeding, show, etc?

Showing and eventually breeding
And I'm not so fond of purebred Brahmans (being chased across a pasture and through a barbwire fence does that to you). And i have given Santa Gertrudis a heavy consideration along with beefmaster and brahmousin. And does the Brangus association offer some sort of breed up program? Because we have a commercial herd with 5 nice unregistered Brangus cows in the mix.

Are you going to keep the heifer or return her to the breeder? What are your goals?

We have Braunviehs and they are a hair breed.

When we were shopping for wetter, greener pastures we looked at a place in east central oklahoma. The owner had a set of Santa Gertrudis cows as good as I have ever seen of any breed. I don't particularly care for the extra leather but these were REALLY GOOD cows by any ones standards. My wife has been after me to get her one every since. I have the mans card here some place. If you are in NE Texas, or are really interested, send me a PM I could find you his name and number. @

mmiv":20xwnwfq said:
Showing and eventually breeding
And I'm not so fond of purebred Brahmans (being chased across a pasture and through a barbwire fence does that to you). And i have given Santa Gertrudis a heavy consideration along with beefmaster and brahmousin. And does the Brangus association offer some sort of breed up program? Because we have a commercial herd with 5 nice unregistered Brangus cows in the mix.

Latest posts