Breed Character What happened to it?

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
herefordkid":3hg33rrg said:
I hear what you are saying those are the traits of the newer bloodlines that i do want to keep but I also feel that there is a lot to be gained from getting back to basics a little bit.

You say breed character. What you really mean is you think you need more maternal than performance?

I think we need to be moderate. I am new to this hereford thing to but tried a bigger framed bull. ( left me with what looks like a milk cow) I tried a littler bull and I am very happy with the daughters. I have a newer bull now about a frame 5 and I think I will be happy with him also.
I dont think we need frame 7 cows I think 6 is big enough. But to many people are chasing epds bigger ww,yw then you get hard doing females that eat a lot to and dont breed back on time.

What part do you have a problem with? What doesnt look right to you in your herd. Only you can be the judge. Dont chase fads and we will be ok. I dont want the little belt buckle cows but rather in between them and the frame 7 monsters.

Jim- There are people that have doing it for many years that should envy your cattle, and I don't mean just Hereford breeders. Keep it up.

frankly":3rtrg72c said:
cowboy43":3rtrg72c said:
In certain parts of the country the same thing is happening to the human race , enough said!

So true!

I have been driving today and thinking about the two posts above.

My wife and I have 8 kids, 3 biological and 5 adopted. The adopted kids come from a wide variety of cultural and racial backgrounds, including biracial. They are all, both biological and adopted, very special people and individuals.

Out of respect for my kids, ALL of them, I have to not bite my tongue any longer but say publicly that I feel this type of thinly-veiled racial comment is unacceptable.

This type of thinking led to concentration camps.

At least on this board and otherwise interesting thread, please stick to discussing cattle.

Jim

SRBeef":2onsja7m said:
frankly":2onsja7m said:
cowboy43":2onsja7m said:
In certain parts of the country the same thing is happening to the human race , enough said!

So true!

My wife and I have 8 kids, 3 biological and 5 adopted. The adopted kids come from a wide variety of cultural and racial backgrounds, including biracial. They are all, both biological and adopted, very special people and individuals.

Out of respect for my kids, ALL of them, I have to not bite my tongue any longer but say publicly that I feel this type of thinly-veiled racial comment is unacceptable.

At least on this board and otherwise interesting thread, please stick to discussing cattle.

Jim

You can look for racism if you like, but I see the problem across all races. It is the same concept as in cattle. People say their cattle should be able to make it on their own, and if they can't they should be culled. That's how nature works, and should make the specie stronger. In some herds of people and animals, those who could not otherwise make it on their own are provided artificial support, and if they keep breeding, it makes the group weaker, requiring more and more support.

As it says in the Bible, people and animals are different

Thanks for the cattle help folks. Jim

djinwa":13ng1q5c said:
SRBeef":13ng1q5c said:

Jim

You can look for racism if you like, but I see the problem across all races. It is the same concept as in cattle. People say their cattle should be able to make it on their own, and if they can't they should be culled. That's how nature works, and should make the specie stronger. In some herds of people and animals, those who could not otherwise make it on their own are provided artificial support, and if they keep breeding, it makes the group weaker, requiring more and more support.

The big weakness in MODERN Democracy is the idea that people with no ability, no accomplishments, no stake in the society, no skills, no work ethic, no property, absolutely nothing too offer the society are able too vote and elect politicians that promise them free health care, government housing, food stamps, old age pensions, free education, etc so the government then steals from people with ability, brains, and talent sapping what they can accomplish. I think this system of government is fundamentally flawed and it will eventually destroy the economy with it when it inevitably falls.

SRBeef":3pxwtnms said:
frankly":3pxwtnms said:
cowboy43":3pxwtnms said:

So true!

Jim

I am sorry Jim.
I am so sorry.
I thought I was agreeing to something else, not noticing the racial aspects of the statement.

herefordkid":1zs954iq said:
I've been scouting a lot of county and state fairs lately and i must say what happened to breed character? In the breeding classes they seem to have forgotten what breeds are supposed to look like. This is something that has befuddled me for a while now. We pay these judges to pick the best and yet they are completely disregarding breed character. Now I know this isn't something that will make or break a class but I'm noticing this trend taking over in the fields too. Everything from Angus bulls that dont look anything like bulls at all to Shorthorns that are supposed to be purebred that aren't even recognizable. I think we need to get back to basics. I fear that if producers don't be careful this will cost more than eye appeal it could go so far as to cost in structural correctness as well as brood cow potential. So in short quit making purebreds look like show steers lets get back to basics before we lose too much. Feel free to comment.

Propoganda from various organizations have convinced the various trend chasers there is only one shape, one size and one colour

The majority of people believe it

Breeds disappear

Heck, some money whores even want to turn Herfs black

Go figure - I am sure I will regret my next but it must be stated ...................

Out of respect for my kids, ALL of them, I have to not bite my tongue any longer but say publicly that I feel this type of thinly-veiled racial comment is unacceptable. This type of thinking led to concentration camps.

Additional thought - Jim - I applaud your good work - but that does not mean you have the right to transfer your sense of sensitvity to others through hidden outrage - you need to lighten up.

Seems you folks down south get all tied up over the slightest comment that has any race tone to it - so I will add one - "seems to me only whites are racist in your country." (Figuratively speaking) Yet the white man is soon if not already a minority in the US of A.

That is your biggest problem - you are all afraid to talk about it because someone gets riled - never going to go away if you cannot talk. And Jim - it is folks like you that will keep it heated up - through your attitude and yes - fear.

The original comment was true and in some countries - including the one I am presently working in - it is highly frowned upon to mix races and religions - and death can be a consequence. Be that as it may - to be unable to talk about race and point out the obvious - which by the way - in your country - demographics prove the truth of the original comment - without being called a racist by someone is bullschitte.

Finally - racism is not going away in my lifetine or yours - to believe otherwise is foolish and in fact niaive - it exists all over the world - but you folks are often quite parochial and seem to think it is only in your own country.

It is also one huge and rapidly growing part of the problem the US has - if I go further this thread will be locked - you call them as you see them - but it was YOUR comment that was out of line in this guys opinion.

Interesting how cows and character can be turned into a race discussion - perhaps one is simply a four legged example of a two legged problem.

[Bez]

Bez, I have read your comments. Wanted to let you know that. As the father of a large family of kids of several races I have first hand experience with racism and I don't like it. Not something I will ever "lighten up" about. Others may have their own different opinions. However it is totally unnecessary to interject that controversial human discussion into a talk on cattle breeds. We are different. Maybe I should just read here. Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts