Bred cow prices

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
Local farmer and friend of mine has 7 black Angus bred cows for sale at $1000 each. There due to start calving 12-24-10 and are all 4-5 yrs. old. They have all raised good calves and are bred to a real quality registered Angus bull. Not sure why he's selling them (e-mailed him to ask) but is it a fair price for what you've seen in your area? I know the cows and they are healthy and have raised good quality calves. I thought I might buy them, sell the calves in July -August and then sell the cows bred back. What do you think? This would be first time doing this as I usually just sell freezer beef and/or groups of weaned calves I've bought and put lbs. on.

Late second stage cows here the last time I checked were around 1300 bucks a head so 1000 would sure seem like a good deal

price sounds cheap if they are good cows
for trader cows that is a little high
you would probably break even if the currnet prices hold or come out a little ahead
if the cows are good cows why would you sell them next fall and not keep them as brood cows
at that price they are kinda high for trader cows

I believe this would be a little high if you wanted to sell calves and cows next summer by the time you get through feeding them profits will be low or break even. I would offer a lower price to take all. probably around$700-800 and you would do better and this time of year not a bad price for the sellar either.
I try to buy bred cows at around $500-600 however I do get older cows but I almost double my money when I sell back. jmo

Dun is on the mark. Not a bad price right now. Plus if you know the cows and have seen the calves, you have a leg up in the situation.

The question is really what are the cows worth to you, not to someone else. Are the cows a good buy today at this price, not at some unknown in the future.

To me that seems like a fair price using my costs and my market.

tncattle":46nhnpay said:
Local farmer and friend of mine has 7 black Angus bred cows for sale at $1000 each. There due to start calving 12-24-10 and are all 4-5 yrs. old. They have all raised good calves and are bred to a real quality registered Angus bull. Not sure why he's selling them (e-mailed him to ask) but is it a fair price for what you've seen in your area? I know the cows and they are healthy and have raised good quality calves. I thought I might buy them, sell the calves in July -August and then sell the cows bred back. What do you think? This would be first time doing this as I usually just sell freezer beef and/or groups of weaned calves I've bought and put lbs. on.

Your stategy is ok but bred cows won't bring that around here. My target price would be 850 or less.
At $1000 per head you may need more than one season to make it work.

How's your hay situation?

dun":bhgjyafy said:
Late second stage cows here the last time I checked were around 1300 bucks a head so 1000 would sure seem like a good deal
Same on this side of the state. Good quality 3rd stagers have been bringing up to 1450 for the last couple weeks around here.

If you are looking for bred Angus cows and you like these, the price doesn't seem too high but I would hang on to them a couple of years and sell 3 calves before selling the cows.

fit2btied":15wapa1l said:
dun":15wapa1l said:
Same on this side of the state. Good quality 3rd stagers have been bringing up to 1450 for the last couple weeks around here.
Why not buy them, ship them to SE MO, sell them, and take the profit now? Don't know where in Tenn. you are, but the shippin' surely ain't 3k. That way, no feed, no calving problems, no market guessing. gs

Not too bad for that heavy bred right off the farm. Here is what sold at Glasgow, KY market last monday.

Bred Cows: Medium and Large 1-2 4-8 years old, 4-8 months bred 800.00-
960.00 per head.

Cow/Calf Pairs: Medium and Large 1-2 2-8 years old with 100-300 lbs.calves ,
at side, 830.00-1215.00 per pair.

And Camplesville, KY on Wed.

Bred Cows Medium and Large 1-2 Middle-Aged
Head Wt Range Avg Wt Price Range Avg Price
2 1085-1175 1130 540.00-700.00 623.19 1-3 Months Bred
5 820-1495 1125 600.00-770.00 691.98 4-6 Months Bred

Latest posts