Bream Fishing

Help Support CattleToday:

gerardplauche

Reaction score
Is anyone catching bream right now? No one that I talked to has done any good so far this year. I went see for myself yesterday and I did "below average". I caught a few, but most were too small to keep.

I went back to Larto this weekend bass fishing, which slowed down big time we only caught 3 this trip, and talked to a couple bream fisherman that were on the north end of the lake. They were catching real good around the big island with crickets, fishing under duck blinds.

We have our own pond that we go bream fishing in. Actually, I should say that we go "catching". You can catch them about as fast as you throw in.

Put a piece of popcorn (bream love popcorn) on hook tied to a somewhat inflated balloon. The bream will grab the popcorn, and subsequently the hook, and take the balloon to where they are bedding..................

Then you can wear them out.

Don't tell anyone else. It's a secret................... ;-)

MikeC":1jrdy2rn said:
Put a piece of popcorn (bream love popcorn) on hook tied to a somewhat inflated balloon. The bream will grab the popcorn, and subsequently the hook, and take the balloon to where they are bedding..................

Is this legal????????????????????

MikeC":u2hd6rkf said:

That's cheating! (But I like it)

gerardplauche":1n726j6w said:
MikeC":1n726j6w said:

Is this legal????????????????????

Why and how would it be illegal?

From a pond management website:

"As a general rule, don't return bream you catch back to the pond. (An exception would be the hybrid bream.) You should remove 150 - 175 pounds of bream per acre per year from a balanced productive pond. In contrast, you should only remove 20 - 25 pounds of largemouth bass per acre per year."

Takes a lot of bream to remove 150-175 pounds per acre. You got to use the noodle a little... :lol:

gerardplauche":mmfcz0np said:
OK, I will try it this weekend and give you guys an update.

If your bream ain't used to eating popcorn, just put a cricket on the hook.

I think Bream are about the same as our Bluegill. One of the things about living upnort Minnesota. We have lots 3/4 pounders, biting like crazy right now. :)

We've been catching some big chicks and bull bream at miller's lake. Some big, nice, hand sized fish. The lillys are starting to crowd up the lake, but they are still biting.

Dusty Roads":3ploh9rf said:
Is there a deferance in a bream and a perch?

Regional thing. Deoending on where you are at, any sunfish may be called by ti's proper name or collectivly as brim, bream, perch, and sometimes even bluegill. Then you get to the local names for a specific fish, crappie are also called specks, even white perch. All depends on where you are

My latest catch, we have a 20 Blugill limit up here. :frowns: But I can go everyday :clap: only takes about an hour total. :D [that is, when the weather permits]

P1010020-2.jpg

These aren't very big, 10-12 oz. My Wife and I will make a good meal plus left overs with this batch. We really enjoy the cold fish sandwiches the next day with some mayo and lettuce.

dun":abwxodxu said:
Dusty Roads":abwxodxu said:
Is there a deferance in a bream and a perch?

Regional thing. Deoending on where you are at, any sunfish may be called by ti's proper name or collectivly as brim, bream, perch, and sometimes even bluegill. Then you get to the local names for a specific fish, crappie are also called specks, even white perch. All depends on where you are

In North LA, a bream is called a perch. I agree with dun, it all depends on the region.

Latest posts