Braunvieh - ORIGINAL BREED

Help Support CattleToday:

buckwheat_87

Reaction score
Braunvieh is not a crossbreed or a new breed developed using two or more breeds. On the contrary, Braunvieh may be the oldest pure breed on earth, with records dating back to 800 B.C. Recently, archeologists have found cattle bones among the ruins of the ancient Swiss Lake Dwellers similar to those of the present day Braunvieh. This would date these cattle in the region to the Bronze Age.

This is the large docile breed associated with the scenic Swiss Alps in Switzerland.

Development of the breed came into its own in the 18th century in the mountain valleys of Switzerland and production records on milk and meat performance were established in the 19th century. Today, roughly 40% of the cattle in Switzerland are Braunvieh and they have spread throughout the world. Due to their high performance and adaptability, Braunvieh are used in all major countries of the world. Braunvieh are found in over 60 countries extending from the Arctic Circle to the tropics at altitudes varying between 0 and 12,500 feet. World population of Braunvieh is over 7,000,000 head. Herdbooks are being kept by breeders' associations in 42 countries.

Braunvieh in North America
Approximately 130 head of Braunvieh were imported into the United States from Switzerland between 1869 and 1880. This was the basis for the development of the American Brown Swiss that was declared a dairy breed in 1890, and therefore became a different breed. American Brown Swiss have since spread to Canada, Mexico and throughout the world including Switzerland. In the mid-nineteen hundreds, Original Braunviehs were imported by Mexico where they have flourished as a beef breed. In Mexico, they are used in a commercial capacity to upgrade the beef characteristics of the indigenous Zebu cattle. There, separate herdbooks are kept for the cattle, sometimes referred to as European type Brown Swiss and American Brown Swiss.

Canada's first importation of Original Braunvieh, the bull Aron, was in 1968. Subsequently, more bulls and females were imported directly into Canada in several importations between 1968 and 1985. These were selected in Europe with emphasis on beef production. In Canada, Original Braunvieh cattle are registered by the Canadian Brown Swiss Association and are referred to as Beef Brown Swiss. They are registered separately from the Dairy Brown Swiss. Many breeders in Canada are members of the Braunvieh Association of America and some of their cattle are registered in the United States.

Physical Characteristics
Braunvieh is a German word which translated into English means Brown Cow. Their hair is various shades of brown, predominately mousy brown, but ranging from light brown with gray to very dark brown. The border of the muzzle is very light, as is the poll, and often a lighter colored dorsal stripe is seen. The udder and inside of the legs and underline also being the lighter shade. A darker, smokier shading is often evident around the shoulders and neck compared to the rest of the body. The switch of the tail is dark brown to black. The skin is pigmented, the muzzle is black, and the hooves are dark and very hard. The calves are born very light colored with white hair, they darken to various shades of gray to brown when they get their new coat.
Thought this might clear up all the talk about Braunvieh being a crossbreed, it seems every time Braunvieh is brought up in a forum someone says they are a crossbreed. Just thought i would try to clear things up.

Approximately 130 head of Braunvieh were imported into the United States from Switzerland between 1869 and 1880. This was the basis for the develepment of the American Brown Swiss that was declared a dairy breed in 1890, and therefore became a different breed.

I read this as meaning that Brown Swiss originated from Braunvieh. That would not make them the same breed.

[/quote]

from what ive read other breeds could have been used to improve the brown swiss . if braun mean's brown in german like gelbvieh mean yellow and fleck means red.. i think anyway.. maybe other way around.. then the brown swiss could be called braunvieh in german

Look at the pics again and tell me they are one and the same. Swiss have no muscle, ie - a DAIRY breed, and the Braunvieh are heavy boned with ample muscle, ie - a BEEF breed.

Besides that, WHO REALLY CARES?

purecountry said:
Look at the pics again and tell me they are one and the same. Swiss have no muscle, ie - a DAIRY breed, and the Braunvieh are heavy boned with ample muscle, ie - a BEEF breed.

Besides that,
  • WHO REALLY CARES?[/
[/list]quote] yes that's it. who care's.. i know i dont.. i raise brangus :p

ALACOWMAN":11cepdns said:
from what ive read other breeds could have been used to improve the brown swiss . if braun mean's brown in german like gelbvieh mean yellow and fleck means red.. i think anyway.. maybe other way around.. then the brown swiss could be called braunvieh in german

Fleck means spotted or "marked". Red cattle would be "Rotvieh". ;-)

Auf Wiedersehen :cboy:

milesvb":wtujlin9 said:
ALACOWMAN":wtujlin9 said:

aint they a town around south texas that was settled by germans?

ALACOWMAN":1ejxhpx1 said:
milesvb":1ejxhpx1 said:
ALACOWMAN":1ejxhpx1 said:

aint they a town around south texas that was settled by germans?

There are towns all over Texas settled by Germans, especially in the Hill Country and central Texas, so I'm sure there is though I don't know which one your thinking of.

I think the basic difference between what we in states call Braunvieh and what we call Brown Swiss is like the difference between Durham (Shortorns) and Milking Shorthorns. You take a group of cows and select one bunch for milk and another for beef and within a few generations you'll have one strain that is beefy and another that is milky. Within a few generations you could probably breed them back by using the milky cows with a beefy bull and he beefy cows with the milky bull and keep reversing the slection process that got them to be distinct in the first place.

dun":3mvsfnj8 said:
I think the basic difference between what we in states call Braunvieh and what we call Brown Swiss is like the difference between Durham (Shortorns) and Milking Shorthorns. You take a group of cows and select one bunch for milk and another for beef and within a few generations you'll have one strain that is beefy and another that is milky. Within a few generations you could probably breed them back by using the milky cows with a beefy bull and he beefy cows with the milky bull and keep reversing the slection process that got them to be distinct in the first place.
make's sence too me ;-)

an excerpt taken from the Texas Cooperative Extension

..."started in 1984 with foundation cattle recorded by the Swiss Braunvieh Federation as Swiss Original Braunvieh (containing no American Brown Swiss influence). Open registry allowing upgrading to purebred (7/8 male, 15/16 female). Have fullblood designation called Original Braunvieh."

I've also read were the gestation period for a Brown Swiss is 290 days, whereas the gestation period for an Original Braunvieh is 280-284 days.

ROB

So Brown Swiss cows are actually milking Braunviehs

Latest posts