Braunvieh or Saler

Help Support CattleToday:

trin

Reaction score
Looking to replace my bull. I have Beefmaster and Beefmaster cross cattle. Trying to choose between Saler or Braunvieh. Plan to keep heifers and sell steers. Anyone have any dealing with either breed? Pros cons pics are all welcome!

Thanks

IMO salers will do better at uniforming the calf crop than Braunvieh. You can get brindled calves from Braunvieh X red cattle.

I think Muddy has a good point about uniformity if that's what you're after.. don't know a whole lot about the braunviehs, but have had Salers... A few things I'd pay attention to while choosing a particular bull from a group is frame size and temperament... Nearly all of my best cows have Saler infuence (1/4 usually), they are durable cows with great hooves and udders, and if left to their own devices are very protective mothers.. well known as being "one man cows", though it's strange that many of my 1/4 Saler cows are the most curious and social cows around strangers.

you've probably seen this bunch before...
16 year old Saler x Hereford cow (Rosie)
IMG_6910+crop_sm.jpg

Shorthorn X daughter (Caddy) and Gelbveih X granddaughter (Chroma) Caddy looks much more Saler than her mother, Chroma has raised the biggest calf of the herd twice in a row now and she's not that big a cow
IMG_7081sm.jpg

Chroma and this year's daughter Sigma.. she's certainly over 500 lbs somewhere @ 160 days
20160425_160311sm.jpg

Chroma's brother Dinero, a bull calf, also looks fairly Saler but you can see the Gelbvieh influence as well
IMG_9174_sm.jpg

I have a special place (in my heart) for the Braunvieh... but will admit that uniformity could be out the window with them.
Just finished calving out a group of predominantly Angus cows (with some Simmental and Shorthorn behind them) bred to Braunvieh bulls... I got 4 blacks, a couple of reds, a couple of browns, 3 grays of varying shades.

Lucky_P":htfiv5ez said:
I have a special place (in my heart) for the Braunvieh... but will admit that uniformity could be out the window with them.
Just finished calving out a group of predominantly Angus cows (with some Simmental and Shorthorn behind them) bred to Braunvieh bulls... I got 4 blacks, a couple of reds, a couple of browns, 3 grays of varying shades.

It depends on what you want to do with them. Are you going to be selling the steers at a sale. Around here Salers are docked and not many use them. Haven't had any experience with Braunviegh's. So can't comment on them. There are several options I would consider but Salers wouldn't be one of them. We have each had different experiences with them.

Lucky_P":25sekcd0 said:
Do you have any pics?

I'd go Saler. Haven't had a ton of experience with either but I haven't had very good results with Braunvieh in a couple segments of our business. I do buy a decent sized string or two of Saler calves every year and have gotten along pretty good with them.

Like others previously mentioned, you will get some funky colored calves out of the Braunvieh bull. However, if you are feeding the calves out and selling on a grid, or selling freezer beef this shouldn't be an issue.

The Braunvieh cattle do so many things right; good dispositions, wean heavy calves, fertile females, and one of the best Continental breeds for marbling.

I am curious, of all of the breeds out there, why have you limited yourself to Braunvieh and Salers? Considering that many of your Beefmaster cows are likely red, I would go with a red Simangus or Balancer.

Saler cause the longevity I seen in them when my uncle had them. Some was up to 18 when we pushed him into selling them. Had very good calving ease. Seemed to raise nice calves, breed 14 months one of the problems I have with my Beefmaster. Plus they seem to be pretty rugged. Braunvieh seem to be some very good mamma cows. Plus I seen some Beefmaster braunvieh cross steers that was as nice as you could ask for. What would simangus or balancer offer? Thanks for your advice.

Long term goal is to get bout 40-50 braunvieh Beefmaster cross cows and ai to real nice angus bull and clean up with a charlolais byll

I'd go Hereford. In fairness, I hate saler and have no experience with braunvieh

I believe that you'd be better off selecting a good Red Angus or moderate Charolais bull to use back on Beefmaster type cows...the other two breeds mention are not bad cattle, but unless your feeding out your own calves the Braunvieh will kill you when you sell due to color patterns and Saler are too big and at one time use to be really jumpy...I'm sure breeders have improved them, but using on Brahman type cows might be a deal killer for you unless you got great pens and your pretty darn good roper.

you'd be better off using a good red angus bull to get the best calf for all purposes. saler cattle were known to be pretty jumpy at one time...i think they have culled for this, but crossing saler with beefmaster you may need to build a new set of pens to hold'em.

you'd be better off using a good red angus bull to get the best calf for all purposes. saler cattle were known to be pretty jumpy at one time...i think they have culled for this, but crossing saler with beefmaster you may need to build a new set of pens to hold'em.

There's an old joke.. A vet went to check on 3 cows, a Hereford, a Saler and an Angus.. He looked in the pen where they were and the Saler spooked and jumped out, the Angus broke out, and the Hereford sat there and prolapsed

trin":1zbx12ez said:
Lazy M":1zbx12ez said:
I'd go Hereford. In fairness, I hate saler and have no experience with braunvieh
Why do you hate salers?
Temperament. Every saler that I've had to work with has tried to kill me or others. One cow ran through a board fence to try to get at me (i climbed over, she busted through). My experience is that they're not too bad until the corral gate closed, and then it's rodeo time.