Branding?

Help Support CattleToday:

dbc

Reaction score
I'm about to brand and wanted to know how everyone did it (fire or freeze), and does a brand get docked at the sale barn? thanks for any help.

dbc":3vyatynk said:
I'm about to brand and wanted to know how everyone did it (fire or freeze), and does a brand get docked at the sale barn? thanks for any help.

We use either fire or electric (hot brands). Really like the electric, it is quieter, and all one piece so you get the same brand each time, plus no messing with the propane to keep the irons hot. Here, the brands don't seem to make a difference at selling time.

Brands will cost you between $2 and $5 cwt depending on size of brand at some kill plants other plants seem to look the other way but their price was lower before they even gave you a bid. 6 in one hand half dozen in the other.

It will make a difference. I had it suggested to me to brand on the jaw, that way it does not lower the value of the hide.

BTRANCH":31f2t33m said:
It will make a difference. I had it suggested to me to brand on the jaw, that way it does not lower the value of the hide.
I might be wrong but the jaw is not a legal location to record ownership in South Dakota. I believe only the shoulder, the rib, and the hip are legal for cattle in South Dakota.

Latest posts