Branding and babysitting

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
On Tuesday there was a branding that got stopped before we were done because of a good steady mix of snow and rain. So Thursday afternoon the plan was to get finished. Most people were late showing up so it was a slow start. I was handling the branding irons and doing some branding. Neighbor C showed up with his 3 year old son. He saddled up and before he started roping calves he told his son to "stay with grandpa Dave". So now I am handling the hot branding irons, watching out I don't get run over by people horseback dragging calves, and keeping a close eye on a 3 year old. At this point I think he was scared of me and did what he was told. After a while C gives his horse a break. I get a break from watching the kid. During that time neighbor L teases and plays with the kids and gets him going. Then both C and L mount up and goes back to roping calves. By this time the kid is no longer scared of me. He wants to do as every 3 year old wants. That is to do what ever he feels like. He is much to quick for me and fearless. I needed to borrow a rope and tie him up. After a close call dad told me to beat his butt. I didn't have to do that but I did get in his face and got mean. I am not playing any more and you will be in big trouble. We both managed to survive........ somehow. I do a lot of different tasks at these branding but I never thought babysitting would be one of them.

You might be expected to do it every time now Dave. Should have just let him get trampled or branded with the hot iron and lose your job.

Ken

Naw , you made the right decision, he'll tell stories 50 years from now about that crusty old ba$tard that babysat me during branding season, take your place in history.

His mother was at work. His pre-school is closed. So dad had the kid. Dad tried to get him to go with a couple of the ladies who were there. The kid wasn't going for that. In dad's defense, if you want people to show up at your branding, you go lend a hand at their branding.
There is a big pen that they put about 25 calves at a time into. There is an open gate in the middle of one side. Calves are roped and drug out that gate. You don't want to be in that gate. That was our close call the kid ran across that opening. I caught him on the other side. The good thing was the wind was right and the smoke from the branding fire was in his face. He sure didn't want to be there. And I had him in my arms. When traffic cleared we went back to the other side. Between the smoke and me getting in his face, he behaved himself after that.
There was a 7 year old there roping calves. And when he gave his horse a break he was diving in to help wrestle the calves. The little guy I was watching will be doing that too in a few years.

Latest posts