Branding pics

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl580

Reaction score
here are some pics of us branding easter sunday. we did 7 pairs.

scan0004.jpg
getting vaccinations and ready for the brand

scan0003.jpg
mama standing in the background at gate.

scan0008.jpg

scan0010.jpg
my brother and brother-in-law getting almost bested by a calf.

Real nice photographs Miss cowgirl580! nothen like a solid day o branden ta get ya ready fur some o cookys cooken :) .

we don't cook them. had 5 bull calves so we could have, but none of us like them. we just threw them away. sure the cats found them later.

Anybody that doesn't know how to hold a calf down take a good look at the third picture. That is the way it is done.
Notice that the man at the back is sitting on the ground-not squatting or bending.

Ryder":3avw91zw said:
Anybody that doesn't know how to hold a calf down take a good look at the third picture. That is the way it is done.
Notice that the man at the back is sitting on the ground-not squatting or bending.

the one sitting is my brother Jesse. if he doesn't know how to do this by now then there is something wrong with him. lol. well, besides the usual stuff. the one in the blue shirt no hat is my sisters hubby Rodney. he had never done this before. good learning experience for him. good thing we didn't have as many to do this year as in previous yrs. my dad had just had surgery in his arm and so couldn't throw calves so it was up to jesse, rodney and me to do the physical stuff. that is my dad branding.

Boy would it be nice to be young again. We have done it that way and on horse back. Still being a lot of work , but fun when your young. Now we do about 60 head with a calve table. Sure makes it easyer for a 60yr old man. Oh to be young and that cold beer after ward. Keep up the the good work.

cowgirl580,

Thoes are some good pictures. You look alot like my daughter. She is 24 years old now. You look to be about that age ?

Let me ask you a question. It looks like you are using a hot iorn to brand with ? Do you just build a fire to heat the iorn up in ? And how long do you apply the iorn before removing it to get a clean brand ?

Nothing like family working together. I like working cattle with my boys. They have other jobs but still have time for me and the cattle.

These are the things that family memories are made of and the stuff that beer drinking stories are made of...especially if your dad hits the son-in-law with the iron.
My uncles told stories of me for years.
Thanks for sharing.
Dmc

cowgirl----you and your crew available this coming saturday?? the 29th?? gonna be branding about 300 babies and could sure use some good dependable help....that know how to get the job done!! ;-) Nah....we don't cook up the "oysters" here, either, but there is usually one or two hands who will insist on taking them home in hopes their wives will fry 'em up!! Ich!!!!

Stepper":1zbus0va said:
cowgirl580,

Thoes are some good pictures. You look alot like my daughter. She is 24 years old now. You look to be about that age ?

Let me ask you a question. It looks like you are using a hot iorn to brand with ? Do you just build a fire to heat the iorn up in ? And how long do you apply the iorn before removing it to get a clean brand ?

i'm 25. we are using 2 irons actually. one for the M and the other for the AN (combined letters). we used to use a fire, now we stick a propane torch in a bbq type contraption and heat them up. heat them up for probably 30 min before so they are good and hot. keep them on cattle for a couple of min. i would guess. someone else could prob. give you a better time est. you need to apply it until the hair is burned off and you can see it clearly on skin. may have to brush hair off and re-burn. heifers usually fight more too, for us anyway.

ranchwife":1ip17alu said:
cowgirl----you and your crew available this coming saturday?? the 29th?? gonna be branding about 300 babies and could sure use some good dependable help....that know how to get the job done!! ;-) Nah....we don't cook up the "oysters" here, either, but there is usually one or two hands who will insist on taking them home in hopes their wives will fry 'em up!! Ich!!!!

lol. if it wasn't such a drive, we probably would be. :lol: think you could move your operation a little closer :?: :lol:

Arnold Ziffle":h0dh0zbv said:
"keep them on cattle for a couple of min. i would guess"

dang, cowgirl, are you branding them or broiling them alive? :lol:

gonna make them well done. :lol: lol. that's why i said i guess. never really thought about it or counted the time. just hold it till it looks done. what would you say? know there are more ppl on here that could give a better time constraint or better example.

ranchwife":udv5wtws said:

ranchwife, it's a little earlier than I said I'd be visiting, but this weekend sounds good for me! Oh, wait. I have to chaperone prom. Darn. Hmmm....maybe leave me penciled in for the first week of June, still. ;-)

here's a couple more pics. didn't have these at time i did original scan.

scan0015.jpg
me, my sis, and my dad directing some of the action. lol

scan0016.jpg

scan0018.jpg

scan0019.jpg
bro and bro-in-law almost look like they are winning. calf is putting up a valiant fight, though. lol

Neat pictures cowgirl580. I also like the look of your house in the back ground.

S.R.R.":2q8fqx9g said:
Neat pictures cowgirl580. I also like the look of your house in the back ground.

thanks. we did 97% of the work ourselves. took about a yr to do completely. worth it though.