branding? freeze or hot iron?

Help Support CattleToday:

fnfarms1

Reaction score
I've have a 30+ cow herd made of 50% blacks, 30% charlois cross, and assorted reds and colored cattle. I am gradually moving toward the charlois crosses. I used both a charlois bull(to get my replacements) and a black balancer bull for black calves since blacks often top our markets. I plan to brand my cows in the spring, but am afraid the freeze brand will be a mistake due to several white/light colored cows. Opinions? Freeze brands look more professional. Growing up dad always used a hot iron so I have more experience with that. Never freeze branded.

We debate this from time to time. I'm a proponent of hot. Ease of application, identifiable on any coat color.

I agree with the hot iron being easier to use and electric is the best. Anyway to keep hair from growing back over? many I see aren't very readable due to hair. I'm told a freeze brand held on longer leaves a bald spot instead of just white hair

in my lifetime I have done both.....

The hot brand is a lot easier .....

but I far prefer the freeze brand....there are a lot of things than must be done right for it to work well...

I ran across a few cows I sold a fellow 7 or 8 years ago....I recognized them from 200 yards away from the freeze brand...they had their number on their hip

pdfangus":2js2dqdx said:
in my lifetime I have done both.....

The hot brand is a lot easier .....

but I far prefer the freeze brand....there are a lot of things than must be done right for it to work well...

I ran across a few cows I sold a fellow 7 or 8 years ago....I recognized them from 200 yards away from the freeze brand...they had their number on their hip
You're not old Jim....heck I can't tell a cow from a horse at 200 yards. :lol2:

be another year older two days from now....
heard the ladies in the office planning a luncheon tomorrow to celebrate me being one year closer to retirement....
what they don't know is I have to work til I die or stop eating one or the other....
actually with a sickly wife I don't want to give up my medical insurance here at work and go on Medicare and supplements that I can not afford...for less coverage...

Latest posts