branding calves

Help Support CattleToday:

robdogtn

Reaction score
What is the best age to brand calves? I have bought and registered a brand several yrs ago to use on my horses and only did 1. Now I am back into cattle & would like to start branding them.

Also, and feedback on whether branding is a price deduction of any kind in the aftermarket world?

Depending on the size and location of the brand there may be a dock because of the lowered value of the hide. Make sure that your brand is registered for use on cattle and not just horses. We used to hot iron them at around 5-6 months

dun":1n26ilz9 said:
We used to hot iron them at around 5-6 months
thats way to long. Purpose of brandin is identification. Not much purpose in brandin them a month befor you sell them. They aint real small at five to six months either. The youngest I've branded them is a late calf at two weeks. But 2-3 months is about right. Hot Iron all the way. Take Animal ID and shove it. Manditory Branding. I've never seen a brand fall off a hide like a ear tag does.

TB-Herefords":32x3o3mw said:
dun":32x3o3mw said:
We used to hot iron them at around 5-6 months
thats way to long. Purpose of brandin is identification. Not much purpose in brandin them a month befor you sell them. They aint real small at five to six months either. The youngest I've branded them is a late calf at two weeks. But 2-3 months is about right. Hot Iron all the way. Take Animal ID and shove it. Manditory Branding. I've never seen a brand fall off a hide like a ear tag does.

If you are going to put them out on range for a copule of months, the timing works great. It was also cheap advertising for when they would go through the salbarn shortly after branding since the buyers could identify our calves form others.

Latest posts