Brahmans in Direct Heat

Help Support CattleToday:

TxCoUnTrYbOy

Reaction score
Now that its starting to warm up a lot, it brings a big question. How hot can a brahman stand in direct heat, with no shade. The reason I ask is that I leave my bull outside during the day, but there is not trees or shade to go under. He has as much water as he can drink. Pretty soon it will be getting 100 degrees down here in Southeast Texas, in Houston. I need to know if he will suffer from the heat so I know if I can continue to leave him outside all day.

Thanks a bunch

Around 110 they will start looking for shade. The main reason to keep a show bull out of the sun is so his coat will not fade.

A small three sided shed for him to get into would not only solve the extreme heat and wind but you could put minerals in it also. A small shed will come in handy for calves also. Just put a rail along it where only the calves can get under. I don't raise brahman but I reckon they would be like most other cattle and a little relief from the heat would be a welcomed addition.

I read recently 80 degrees and up, and most cows produce less milk, and suffer a bit. Its 90-100 here all summer and our cows seem OK. On the other hand, the same article said 110 for Brahmans...they are heat tolerant compared to others. Sounds about right to me, but can't stamp it all as truth.

TxCoUnTrYbOy":3tz6jr3h said:
Now that its starting to warm up a lot, it brings a big question. How hot can a brahman stand in direct heat, with no shade. The reason I ask is that I leave my bull outside during the day, but there is not trees or shade to go under. He has as much water as he can drink. Pretty soon it will be getting 100 degrees down here in Southeast Texas, in Houston. I need to know if he will suffer from the heat so I know if I can continue to leave him outside all day.

Thanks a bunch
===========
TxCo,

All animals seek shelter/shade at some point of heat......try to arrange some shade...even a lean-too type shed would be good. When you see the animals in other fields around your area head for the shade...thats the time of the need.

I have read studies indicatng the sun/heat can be as/more stressful than cold on animals. If you have a barn...leave the gate open...he will go in when it gets to hot.

Some type of shade will at least alleviate some of your worries even if they don't particularly need it. Husband and I talk about this all the time. My first question when we work things out here is can they get to shelter. He invariably says they don't need it right now. I say it eases my mind to know it's there if they need it - even if they don't.

jerry27150":2cjblnqs said:
ever go to one of those big feedlots, they have no shade at all
=============
jerry,

Interesting......never thought of it. Now that you mention the point...don't believe I have ever seen a covered area in the feedlots I have seen pictures of. Humm!

TCB.. I would try to find a way to provide him with shade before the dead of summer. Brahmans can certainly tolerate extreme heat more than other breeds, but why make him tolerate it if he doesn't need to?

Like Farmhand.. maybe providing shade makes ME feel better anyway! :cboy:

Latest posts