Brahman Semen

Help Support CattleToday:

JRCarrington100

Reaction score
About 20 years ago we sold our Brahman herd. When we sold out we began running a registered Angus herd. The reason we got out of the Brahman breed is because you could not buy semen on the best bulls in the Brahman breed. We still have not figured out why. In the Angus breed you can buy semen on any bull there is with no restrictions. I think every cattlemans goal is to the quality of their herd. I still talk to a lot of the breeders within the Brahman breed. They tell me the same story about not being able to buy semen on any bull. Why is this?

Every stud that I know of carries at least one. sexing technologies has a bunch of them and not just sorted. Bovine elite has a ton of them.
That being said, with the big studs it's a space issue. They don't like to warehouse old semen as the best market is for the bulls in the catalog so most of the bulls in the catalog are being housed and collected on a regular basis. Why put the resources into a bull that you can only sell 1,000 units of when he can easily be replaced by a bull that you can sell tens of thousands of units of? If the demand is there expect to see more bulls be offered shortly after.

CP, he's talking about bulls like Karu Manso that only had semen for sale outside the US. If you wanted one of his sons you had to buy a bull in Texas.

Go to Bovine Elite website and you can't purchase semen on probably 80% of the Brahman bulls they offer. You can purchase semen on any other breed they offer though. That is why the Angus breed has such accurate numbers on their bulls within the breed. Those bulls have been used all across the US in every kind of condition possible in many herds. When we were in the Brahman breed you could always buy a son of the best bulls but you can't buy semen on the best bulls available. A lot of the bulls that are trait leaders within their breed you can't buy semen on so why publish the summary?

Sounds like a smart business move to me. Sell the high priced semen packages to Asia and South America. If you want one of his sons you gotta get off your wallet at a bull sale. Pretty sure somebody made a lotta money doing that.

The big problem with the Brahman breed is that people don't want to buy the bulls. If you own a great/champion Brahman bull and you sell semen domestically then you are creating competition for yourself in the bull market. If you only sell semen overseas then the best
other breeders can do is to buy a son (from you) to add those genetics to their herd. For Brahman breeders, it creates a market for bull calves. It makes all of your calves more valuable. Commercial cattlemen want a black calf so they don't use a lot of Brahman bulls for A.I. The semen business is totally different for Angus bulls based on scale.

I guess everyone has their own opinion. But if you want to make the breed better you have to be utilizing the best bulls and that is not happening. When we dispersed out Brahman cattle in 1997 we had the best genetics that were available. There is a difference between best available and the best. When we purchased our Angus cattle we were able to AI to any bull as I have said before. We have just recently bred some our females to EXAR Denver which is valued at nearly $1,000,000. I think we purchased the semen for $35 or $40 a straw. I assure you that you will not be able to purchase semen on the Champion or Reserve champion Brahman bull of Houston this year.

While it may be a good business move, it's still sucks for those who want the older bulls blood line. One of my favorite bulls JDHSarasota 880 is only sold overseas as well as SuperCal (spelling may be off) and these bulls do not have sons alive here to buy. You may can get a JDH Datapack son here but I doubt it. You may also get an Elmo son too but again you're gonna come off of some big bucks. It's mostly the Greys that are sold foreign only.

JRCarrington100":24wsaeq2 said:
I guess everyone has their own opinion. But if you want to make the breed better you have to be utilizing the best bulls and that is not happening. When we dispersed out Brahman cattle in 1997 we had the best genetics that were available. There is a difference between best available and the best. When we purchased our Angus cattle we were able to AI to any bull as I have said before. We have just recently bred some our females to EXAR Denver which is valued at nearly $1,000,000. I think we purchased the semen for $35 or $40 a straw. I assure you that you will not be able to purchase semen on the Champion or Reserve champion Brahman bull of Houston this year.

So the way you see it is if you cannot purchase someone else's breeding program for $35/straw the whole breed is bad? First you were complaining about EPD's, now you are complaining about the cost of semen. Guess what? Everyone has the exact same Grey Brahman genetics unless you have imported Nelore bloodlines. It was YOUR selection choices that failed you in the breed, not the breed...

This is an Angus BREEDER, not a straw chaser.
I am Angus: Ed Oliver
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-f_tDTMtvF0

[youtube]f_tDTMtvF0[/youtube]

JWBrahman,
I have to agree with your statement " It was YOUR selection choices that failed you in the breed, not the breed..." As it relates to me, I realized that it's the bulls I was selecting. I went through almost all the bulls on Bovine Elite and saw some that are sold here, so you can get good quality Brahman semen here in the states. I just got a notification from V8's FaceBook page of a bull they're offering semen on during Houston's showing, that's a 1000 a straw that is an out cross from some of the normal bloodlines being used in the breed.
With the grey bulls it can be a task to get away from any that doesn't have JDH or V8 somewhere in the breeding.

What are the chances of finding some from a bull from 10 years ago?

Tried looking on Bovine elite but there website doesnt work. I want to get my hand on my grandfathers genes, I know JD Hudgins has a lot of cattle with genes from my grandfathers stock.

TIA

Depends on what genetics you are wanting. You want be able to buy any semen from JD hudgins on any of the bulls they own

Latest posts