Brahman influenced cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Lots of potential with a lot of crossed but char x brangus makes a good cross down here among others.

All great momma cows. All that group would need is a char bull to push down the scales !

All great momma cows. All that group would need is a char bull to push down the scales !

Simmental7":sfv7s3da said:
What brahman influenced breed do you think would wean the heaviest calf... Brangus, Gert, Beefmaster, Simbrah, Braford, etc
you'll have individual exceptions in every breed but I'm sure there has been some research done somewhere that might give you weaning weight averages for the "breed". Somebody has nothing more to do and some breed assn may have a lot of research money. ;-)

Taurus":204nhj4n said:
What happened if you cross a brahman to a belted galloway? Been curious about that cross.

I would hate to try and sell it.
I am fixing to buy 8 or 10 Brimmer influenced heavies to carry through the summer into about Oct.
Got plenty of grass. Plan on selling them as 3 n 1's this fall.

Simm and Brah haver the highest EPD wean weights, make sense that the Hybrid vigor would really kick in, personally with my beefmasters I get bulls on on grass and momma averaging over 3 lbs a day, heifers @ 2.75, I have been weaning at the 600 lb .

ALACOWMAN":1ye2pp6x said:
KNERSIE":1ye2pp6x said:
Simbrah without any doubt
thats a fact.... but i wonder sometimes if their worth dealing with for the extra pounds
How so? I am not familiar with the simbrah, " Worth dealing with"

are they crazy, big, mean, aggresive?

thommoos":16dhaqzi said:
ALACOWMAN":16dhaqzi said:
KNERSIE":16dhaqzi said:
Simbrah without any doubt
thats a fact.... but i wonder sometimes if their worth dealing with for the extra pounds
How so? I am not familiar with the simbrah, " Worth dealing with"

are they crazy, big, mean, aggresive?

All of the above, plus wild, hard keeping, lack of uniformity, sheath issues in bulls....

houstoncutter":1lxljlhn said:
The simbra would also be the most likely to be the first to have a bad bag out of those crosses.

Yep... Brangus and Gerts are going to do a better job over the long run in terms of keeping a uniform calf crop, holding up better with age, and consistantly mashing the scales. :2cents: Plus, Brangus and Gert breeders are also doing a great job of moderating the size of their cows, while not losing performance... IMHO

Of course you can put a Hereford over those brangus and gert cows, get your "super baldies" (red and black), then put the terminal bull of your choise over them and out perform nearly anything out there.... :tiphat:

Justin

SSGenetics":1clqpe7f said:
houstoncutter":1clqpe7f said:
The simbra would also be the most likely to be the first to have a bad bag out of those crosses.

Yep... Brangus and Gerts are going to do a better job over the long run in terms of keeping a uniform calf crop, holding up better with age, and consistantly mashing the scales. :2cents: Plus, Brangus and Gert breeders are also doing a great job of moderating the size of their cows, while not losing performance... IMHO

Of course you can put a Hereford over those brangus and gert cows, get your "super baldies" (red and black), then put the terminal bull of your choise over them and out perform nearly anything out there.... :tiphat:

Justin
rasing a uniform group has alot to do with the breeder...

I happen to have about 4 f-1 simbra cows now among others. They range in age 3 to 5. Each is an excellent mother, and no udder problems. Most all brahma crossed cows will be a little more sponky, than some traditional straight breed cows, that being said, they are good animals. The simbra we have will eat from your hand, and are the first to the feed trough. A little more spirit in the chute. These will wean a calf over 600lb at 6 months and maintain condition. Our previous sire was a Sim-Angus bull, which contributed to the weaning weights. A good uddered brahma cross cow is hard to beat in the south. A solid corral and equipment along with a good terminal bull will make you smile come sale day.

Latest posts