Brahman color question.

Help Support CattleToday:

bubchub":3gel1z9j said:
I think I asked my question wrong and that is why y'all think I don't know anything about the cattle business.

My question was supposed to be: Will a dark red heifer or solid gray heifer show better than a reddy/gray mixed color heifer?

I am asking this question as all the heifers have pretty much the same bloodilens, comformation, age, but they are different in color.
folks prefer the solid colors for just that. if their going back in a purebred herd now the red/gray as you call it sounds like a good one to cross for some F1'S. but the soilds will bring more

Colors should not affect the judges at all if it he is judging on color he is not a beef cattle judge in my opinion. Most shows show brahman in grey and red mixed unless it is just a big show then they show red against red and grey against grey. My son has a rusty colored brahman calf that won Reserve Grand Champion hiefer at the East Tn. Valley fair this year. so to answer your guestion no color should not have anything to do with showing. Red is sometimes higher because there isn't as many but to me what ever she is worth to you is what counts. I would buy the better calf for beef purposes not for color.

if it he is judging on color he is not a beef cattle judge
ABSOLUTELY CORRECT! Any beef breeder or producer who has attended even ONE show can attest to the fact that Judges are as human as any of us, and they have personal preferences which are as much a part of them as the reasons they select a particular brand of truck, or . . .a spouse! Those preferences dictate his selections - and therefore the judge's must posses integrity, honesty, fairness, lack of bias, dedication to following the Standard's of the particular breed he/she is judging in order to make the proper and correct selections. . . .and we have all seen shows wherein that quality of judging was absent!

Most breed requirements that I am aware of stress Phenotype (and some show's include Genotype at the present time) in their guide-lines for judges, depending on whether the classes are for Seedstock or Terminal. If we are seeking characteristics and traits for BEEF cattle - "color", on it's own merit, has no place in a judges decision-making protocol.

DOC HARRIS

DOC: If we are seeking characteristics and traits for BEEF cattle - "color", on it's own merit, has no place in a judges decision-making protocol.

Does this go for commercial cattle also?

People post on here everyday that their black calves top the market everytime. Seems like a buyer is some sort of a "Judge".

What gives DOC? Can you explain this phenomenon? :lol: :lol:

Thanks in advance!

Ratfish":2xr28ee5 said:
No, not at all.
you know there is some truth in what you stated though. a tigerstripe moma cow is more vaulable to some southern rancher's than a purebred brahman. but it takes the purebred to get the true f1 tiger.

MikeC":vjvq6lgr said:
DOC: If we are seeking characteristics and traits for BEEF cattle - "color", on it's own merit, has no place in a judges decision-making protocol.

Does this go for commercial cattle also?

People post on here everyday that their black calves top the market everytime. Seems like a buyer is some sort of a "Judge".

What gives DOC? Can you explain this phenomenon? :lol: :lol:

Thanks in advance!
Oh-h-h kay-y, Mike! I know you are 'ringing' my bell, but I shall answer the phone - anyway? :lol: :roll: :nod: :nod:

You can bet your "Fern" that this goes for commercial cattle also! :nod:

Mike - I feel certain that you can agree with me that EVERY buyer, breeder and producer MUST be a JUDGE - otherwise he/she is just guessing in regard to selection of beef stock (Seedstock OR terminal) and throwing something up against a wall to see if anything sticks - running up a flag to see if anyone salutes it! For this explicit reason, and others as well, livestock evaluation courses are offered by Universities, High School Ag classes and even FFA and 4H clubs - all to help the novice and experienced breeders as well to be able to KNOW what they must do in order to become a success at their operations, whether they are Registered seedstock producers or supplying feeder cattle for Terminal markets. What is necessary is for the individual Rancher or Farmer to take ADVANTAGE of these opportunities to LEARN EVERYTHING possible for his financial and professional benefit! ... And, there-in lies the delimma!

By mere virtue of the fact that Agriculturalists must depend upon themselves and their knowledge for their livelihood and successes, they have a tendency to become stubborn, skeptical and a little arrogant. As a result, it becomes difficult, impossible at times, for them to accept a NEW idea, or a NEW concept in regard to the business that they have been engaged in for many years. . . . ." . .if it was good enough for my daddy, it is good enough for me!" How many times have you heard that phrase repeated, in things Agricultural ,and Politics also!?

Hence, because change is difficult but ultimately inevitable, resistance is futile. In My Opinion, this is one of two reasons that "Black Hide Color" is deemed imperative for a Terminal market operation to be successful. The other reason, of course, is the phenomenal public relations and advertising program that the American Angus Association has been involved with since the instigation of the Certified Angus Beef program.

My opinion of this 'phenomenon'- - Because "Black" Angus cattle had (and still do have) some many optimal 'functional' characteristics (or physical traits) such as skeletal structure, desirable feet and legs, shoulder, spine, tight udders, small teats, femininity, body capacity, fleshing ability (loose-pliable hide and easy-gaining tendencies) AND muscle expression and degree of fatness, "Black" hided cattle became the "cow-of-Choice", so to speak, and the color "Black" became the talisman and in time, all "market-topping" feeders seemed to be black! VOILA . . ."If Black Cattle are good enough for Jim Bob-down-the-road- they are good enough for me!" says Producer "A" - - -without trying to learn or understand WHY the cattle topped the market. It was easier to just copy Jim Bob-down-the-road! They are like the contestants on "The Price Is Right" - -they think that ANYBODY in the audience knows more about what some stupid 'widget' the show is giving away costs than THEY do. Like a bunch of sheep! Can't think for themselves. Well, to be a successful entrepreneur in any business, one must know as much as possible about their BU$INE$$ - and be able to think for themselves, and Beef Production is no exception.

Being able to "Judge" one's product and also the market is part of the 'phenomenon'!

That's what "gives"!

DOC HARRIS

Many purebred breeders look for a "true" pigmented color in their animal selection. At "Houston" domestic breeders will select based on solid animals, where as international breeders may not. Price truely depends on the animals pedigree, confirmation, and overall presence in a show ring. A reddish grey or a greyish red may do extremely well under certain judges. If the animal is truely a champion the color of their hide is only a minor factor. Take for example the bulls known to breeders as "Batman" and "Bluemoon", which were champions many times over, but were spotted. It all comes down to what you want in your cattle, if they are truely culls then that is what they are, but don't select based on color alone.

Batman may have been a Houston champion, but he wasn't very successful after that. I've had personal experience with his progeny.

So much of the time something that does really well showing doesnt' do well in "real life".. because the offspring don't reflect the good traits of the parent. In this case, his coloring was also a big deterent, as most Brahman breeders don't want spotted calves, which he produced.