Brahman color question.

Help Support CattleToday:

bubchub

Reaction score
I went and looked at some Brahman show heifers and the people had dark red heifers and light reddy/gray heifers. The ag teachers and I thought a reddy/gray was the best put together heifer there. The grayish one is $2250 and one of the dark reds is $2750. The owner, who I have bought bulls from, said that the grayish one was just as good and would show just as good, but the dark red is sought after more and that is why it's higher. THe man said if he was in Houston the heifers would not go for less than $4000.

Are the reddy/grays culls or bad cows?I thought y'all could maybe give me your opinion of the situation.

MikeC":1k5jhfsm said:
THe man said if he was in Houston the heifers would not go for less than $4000.

Good BS line! I'll have to remember that one. :lol:
:lol: You figure for an extra 3 grand between the two it would be worth the shipping. To get the BS really flowing just ask him why he isn't taking them there.

In my search to buy Brahman cattle I've visited several of major ranches within the breed, and I have found that the gray heifers are the same price as the reds.
Why in Houston the rancher thinks he could get more is beyond me, unless he/she was thinking on selling at the livestock show in the spring?Paying 4000 would mean some of the top genetics.

I know he is trying to sell me but I also know he has good show cattle. He goes to Houston alot and shows so I guess he would sell the heifers. He had one heifer that he wants $5000 for and she's just 8 mo. old.

Here is his site.
http://www.mckenneyfarms.com

bub, color does affect the price from my experience. I know a couple of guys that sell heifers with good conformation but have a lighter red color that go for around $1500 while the deep red with good stucture may go for $2000 and up. PM me if you want more info.

bubchub":1lhy6cw5 said:
I know he is trying to sell me but I also know he has good show cattle. He goes to Houston alot and shows so I guess he would sell the heifers. He had one heifer that he wants $5000 for and she's just 8 mo. old.

Here is his site.
http://www.mckenneyfarms.com
I have calves that I want $5000.00 for also. I want get it, but i want it! ;-)

Oh McKenney farms. That is one of the popular ranches for red Brahmans. I was told I could get Gir cattle there so I called to inquire on prices and was told it prices start at 3000. I guess I get what I pay for. Quality does cost so I've told.

Deep red color is desirable and preferred. However, heritage/genetics and conformation/structure will need to be taken into account as well. One of other problems with red brahmans is that there aren't as many as the grey and that will sometimes drive prices up.

bubchub":1sn3vcm8 said:
Do reddy/gray calves not do as well at the shows compared to dark red or gray heifers?

Sounds like before you go shopping you need to do a little research.

Anyone that would give 4 to 5000 dollars for a brammer calf has fell and hit his head. I don't care if was brought over by Shanghi Pierce.

Caustic Burno":33s1pkp6 said:
bubchub":33s1pkp6 said:
Do reddy/gray calves not do as well at the shows compared to dark red or gray heifers?

Anyone that would give 4 to 5000 dollars for a brammer calf has fell and hit his head. I don't care if was brought over by Shanghi Pierce.

THat's what I brought ag teachers for. THey say they should show just as well. But my question is, if they show just as good why the price difference?

Caustic Burno":85a7pjiu said:
bubchub":85a7pjiu said:

AMEN Caustic

Caustic Burno":q7nj8w4l said:
bubchub":q7nj8w4l said:

Agreed! I don't own and have never owned any straightbred Brahman calves; but at $5000 a head I can go find them a whole potbelly trailer load!!

THat's what I brought ag teachers for. THey say they should show just as well. But my question is, if they show just as good why the price difference?
bub-Your question presupposes or postulates that "beef cattle" prices are established or based on "...How THEY show" ONLY! If that is your interpretation of the entire beef cattle business, you need to inquire more thoroughly into "Beef Cattle Management" classes, and put your two Ag teacher friends to work explaining the facts of - "Beef Cattle Life" to you. You may be interested in "Showing" only, but price is deteremined by a lot more factors than just whether or not an animal is one color or another and whether they "show" well or not. To be a success you must be able to know the difference.

DOC HARRIS

I think I asked my question wrong and that is why y'all think I don't know anything about the cattle business.

My question was supposed to be: Will a dark red heifer or solid gray heifer show better than a reddy/gray mixed color heifer?

I am asking this question as all the heifers have pretty much the same bloodilens, comformation, age, but they are different in color.

bubchub":6f2db5b0 said:
I think I asked my question wrong and that is why y'all think I don't know anything about the cattle business.

My question was supposed to be: Will a dark red heifer or solid gray heifer show better than a reddy/gray mixed color heifer?

I am asking this question as all the heifers have pretty much the same bloodilens, comformation, age, but they are different in color.
Oh - I see. - - - To answer your question on the basis of EXACTLY what you asked - - - Probably.

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":15omzxtu said:
bubchub":15omzxtu said:

Oh - I see. - - - To answer your question on the basis of EXACTLY what you asked - - - Probably.

DOC HARRIS

You neglected to include, sometimes maybe

dun

I think a lot of it depends on the judge mostly. Some dont like the mixed colors, only deep solid color. Also, if there are 2 animals in a class that the judge is having trouble picking, most likely he will then look at the coloring.

bubchub":2e9r141i said:

if i knew anything about showing brahmans i would guess yes!