Brahman beef?

Help Support CattleToday:

ALACOWMAN":37vw3n3i said:
Frankie":37vw3n3i said:
Ryan":37vw3n3i said:
The picture of Australian Cattleman's brahman steer got me wondering... I'm sure someone has, but anyone here ever had brahman beef? Tasty? Tender? I know they make great crosses here in the south, but I've never really heard anything in regards to carcasses...yield or quality.

Ryan

MARC data says the higher percentage of brahman in a carcass, the more likely it will be tough. I've never seen anything about taste.
well who cares about taste if you got too chew all day on it. i think it has a lot to do with the enviroment the brahman are raised. and most are raised in some pretty harsh areas also the type of brahman in the past. alot of the more modern brahman are meaty and beef producers i look for them too keep moving foward in the industry
Lol cowman looks like your finally coming around to my way of thinking. Me an you might end up being able to partner on something after all. :D I alwasy said if soem of you think you need some ear in your cowhered..so be it. But sure try to take it out when you select bulls. For you peopel that think you need ear in a cow..do you really think there is any advantage to having more than 3/8 in one?? That would seem ideal to me or else the brangus folks wouldnt have settle on it. That would let you use a good Angus or chaorlais bull on those cows depending on if you go for quality or yield grade and get your calves down to 3/16 ear...less than a quarter...what feedyard managers are BEGGING you to do

Its really nice to hear somebody like Alacowman talk about breeders that want to *keep moving forward in the industry*. All of us need to do that..but to many brahma lovers just alwasy seem to be so defensive instead of being pracitcal and informed like cowman is. Peopel..lets dont ever lose site of that steak on a plate!!

Opps..almost forgot...thank you for the good quote cowman:

"well who cares about taste if you got too chew all day on it"

That is so so true....I hope you dont mind me using that soem :lol:

Theres also Brahman haters out there who cant stand them just because they and the people who like them are different. Your oppinion aint going to make me switch to Angus or something today or any day.

Double J Cattle":kvpafo4b said:
Theres also Brahman haters out there who cant stand them just because they and the people who like them are different. Your oppinion aint going to make me switch to Angus or something today or any day.
Not trying to make you swithc..if all youve got cattle for is pets I dont care what you run. Its only when somebody has to saw into a tough steak that makes it my business anyhow..I want to be sure they buy steak again..not switch to chicken..thats what makes it my business
Thank you for a good line to
"they and the people who like them are different"

So so true. Lol

THe scientist and producers who attended the BIF conference in Mississippi were treated to some Brahman-influence steaks from the Nolan Ryan Tender Aged Beef program. Most could not believe that they were eating Brahman influenced cattle because the meat was not tough and stringy.

We need to pay more attention to tenderness and how the steaks are prepared. Overcooking (past medium) creates problems with toughness and juiciness.

I go anywhere there is free food and I will eat anything. I have had Angus, Hereford, Pinzgauer, Charolais, Gertrudis, Limousin, Brangus, Beefmaster, Continentals, CAB, CHB, Nolan Ryan's, grassfed, my own grass raised steers, farm butchered downer old cow, pork, goat, lamb, chicken, turkey, duck, quail, range chicken, my own yard chickens, mutton, ostrich, llama, emu, alligator, venison, elk, pheasant, wild turkey, rattlesnake, squirrel, rabbit, dozens of fish species, coon, opossum, turtle, frog, crawdad, etc and if the cook and the butcher both knew what they were doing and took their time in preparation and seasoning it it is ALL good.

Our problem is not producing meat that Justin Wilson, Emerile Legasse or Julia Childs can prepare well given a few weeks to research and come up with a plan; but producing a product that overworked Jane Doe citizen can take out of the freezer, microwave on high for 3 minutes, and then grill in a preheated skillet on high heat flipping twice. That is our problem and ANYTHING that makes the meat toughter under those horrid conditions is a problem for us.

I dont raise for pets. Thats why I also have Charolais bulls running on crossbred cows. Old John Chisolm, what do you run ? Other than your mouth.