Brahman beef?

Help Support CattleToday:

Ryan

Reaction score
The picture of Australian Cattleman's brahman steer got me wondering... I'm sure someone has, but anyone here ever had brahman beef? Tasty? Tender? I know they make great crosses here in the south, but I've never really heard anything in regards to carcasses...yield or quality.

Ryan

Ryan":2kcm1qhw said:
The picture of Australian Cattleman's brahman steer got me wondering... I'm sure someone has, but anyone here ever had brahman beef? Tasty? Tender? I know they make great crosses here in the south, but I've never really heard anything in regards to carcasses...yield or quality.

Ryan

Well yes and it is dang good eatin.

Ryan":qwaq4nx9 said:

Ryan

MARC data says the higher percentage of brahman in a carcass, the more likely it will be tough. I've never seen anything about taste.

I'm going with my ol' buddy Caustic on this one - had some Gert and it is outstanding.
The problem with all this fancy testing and such is it doesn't take into consideration one major factor - the cook !

Caustic Burno":371b3eld said:
Ryan":371b3eld said:

Ryan

Well yes and it is dang good eatin.

Good to hear. I started thinking about it and realized i hadn't heard anything about brahman beef.

We've had plenty of it, and it's as good as any other beef. Keeping in mind of course, we never keep anything that has the potential to be a "dark cutter". The highly excitable cattle will be tougher than the quieter cattle.

Frankie":32iob4g4 said:
Ryan":32iob4g4 said:

Ryan

MARC data says the higher percentage of brahman in a carcass, the more likely it will be tough. I've never seen anything about taste.
well who cares about taste if you got too chew all day on it. i think it has a lot to do with the enviroment the brahman are raised. and most are raised in some pretty harsh areas also the type of brahman in the past. alot of the more modern brahman are meaty and beef producers i look for them too keep moving foward in the industry

ALACOWMAN":37bz1ri6 said:
Frankie":37bz1ri6 said:
Ryan":37bz1ri6 said:

Ryan

well who cares about taste if you got too chew all day on it. i think it has a lot to do with the enviroment the brahman are raised. and most are raised in some pretty harsh areas also the type of brahman in the past. alot of the more modern brahman are meaty and beef producers i look for them too keep moving foward in the industry

Ignorance is bliss keep thinking they are all tough and wild and maybe the price will come down on some of those Brimmer girls.
I wouldn't mind at all seeing a few more in the pasture.

Ryan,

My uncle and I fed out a steer that was 3/4 Brahman and 1/4 Hereford and it made some fine steaks. He was the most gentle calf out of that crop and a pretty good beef type specimin. He was fed for approx 110 to 120 days and he was killed and hung/aged for exactly 28 days. It was fantastic.

Googly Moogly

limousin is the best tasting beef I have consumed, tender and palatable, some brahman beef is hard to cook and goes tough very fast. :)

well if you cook the brahma beef like my dad used to, (burnt to a crisp) you'll think for sure that brahma=tough and tastless.

I believe they are leaner than most brits/conti so the less you cook them the better they'll taste and the more tender they'll be. And of course aged beef is the best...

I think the same goes for longhorn meat, theres no fat to "cook out" of the steak so shorter cook time will mean better eating.

I have eaten Brahman beef and Brahman crossbred beef and it was stringy and tough as shoe leather. Actually some of it was impossible to chew it enough to break it down enough to swallow.

teletigger":26zpm3zo said:
:

Anyone ever pampered one of them? corn creep?....or just the usual brahman fare....brambles and bricks. you feed them barbed wire and expect them to taste like marshmallows. The tougher you keep them....thats how they eat.
regards
I am talking about calves off their mama and creep fed on a corn ration.

You can keep your oppinons on Brahman cattle to yourself as far as I'm concerned. Because thats what they are, oppinions. I bet you would blow a gasket if I was to talk about your precious, almighty angus like that !

By the way, what would you know about cattle in Thailand anyway, I thought all that went on there was pandemics of bird flu.

Double J Cattle":218s3j6t said:
You can keep your oppinons on Brahman cattle to yourself as far as I'm concerned. Because thats what they are, oppinions. I bet you would blow a gasket if I was to talk about your precious, almighty angus like that !
;-)

Been selling grass finnished Gert beef now for 3 years off the farm and the customers keep comming back. Something about not being able to get the quality of cuts/taste/tenderness anywhere else.
FYI a poor butcher will make any meat cut tough as shoe leather

TK

Latest posts