Brahman and Indu type cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

cathill

Reaction score
I probably live in the wrong part of the country for the Brahman and Indu or Gir/Gyr type cattle but they remain my very favorite. I'd love to breed for pure but since mine are probably not pure, at least not registered, then I just enjoy the cows and breed them to whatever the boys have for me to borrow when they're not using them on their herd. Babe is my grey American Brahman type cow and Rose is my, well, Indu-Brazilian or Gir type, not sure.

Last year, Rose didn't take. I think she was too tall for the bull that was here. I know he tried but she is one tall hussy. I bought her as an adult having had only one calf before. This year, she and Babe both took and calved on the same day, just hours apart. The sire is a registered Angus.

Rather than post a bunch of photo's again, I posted them in the wrong place so I'll just link to that page, the introductions page.
http://www.cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=77001

They look good to me. I like eared cattle too, If i was you i would go towards the Brahman cattle and go between angus and Hereford bulls. Our market isn't to bad on the half ear cattle.

Thanks, there were 4 bulls here at the time they were bred so could have been a registered black Angus or one of 3 young Balancer bulls that my son had here while moving his cows.
I don't have access to a good Hereford, would that produce the tiger striped calves? I might have to look into it.
My son's fiancee's parents have some nice Charolais bulls, all service age but young. He thinks that would produce some bucking bull type but I'm not sure I want to go that direction.

I really love these cows and haven't decided whether to keep the heifer or sell and look for another Brahman type cow. I don't plan to keep many cows here and have a couple of stock type heifers that I bottle fed last year but they're running with my son's herd now.... he doesn't get my Brahman cows, they're my babies and they stay here (plus he thinks they would cause a commotion in his herd, he's not a fan of my cows but impressed with their offspring).

I don't know what bull will end up used this go around. Matt also has a big red bull, I'll have to ask him what he is but he throws great looking calves and I think he's registered.

Yea a Hereford would make some f1 tigers. I like half ear cattle and then breed to a Charolais, Hereford or brangus. You can have eared momma's that way and calves with some ear, but will also top our market.

I absolutely love my Zebu/Sardo Negro cattle.Finally got a nice size herd.Yeah love the Indu-Basil,Gyr,Guzerat too.Lots of pictures on Facebook and videos on Youtube.Just talked to a man yesterday that imported a Guzerat bull out of Mexico.The zebu in Thailand have elephant ears on them,look like 26" long.

cathill":12xioi96 said:
I probably live in the wrong part of the country for the Brahman and Indu or Gir/Gyr type cattle but they remain my very favorite. I'd love to breed for pure but since mine are probably not pure, at least not registered, then I just enjoy the cows and breed them to whatever the boys have for me to borrow when they're not using them on their herd. Babe is my grey American Brahman type cow and Rose is my, well, Indu-Brazilian or Gir type, not sure.

Last year, Rose didn't take. I think she was too tall for the bull that was here. I know he tried but she is one tall hussy. I bought her as an adult having had only one calf before. This year, she and Babe both took and calved on the same day, just hours apart. The sire is a registered Angus.

Rather than post a bunch of photo's again, I posted them in the wrong place so I'll just link to that page, the introductions page.

Why not AI them to brahman bulls or gyr bulls to get some replacements?

cathill":nbeu0i8k said:

Greater hip height is associated with lower pregnancy rates in Brahman cattle.
If you are going to be playing with Brimmers might look into the stuff Greg Riley has put out.
http://msucares.com/livestock/beef/geneticslunch4.pdf

Caustic Burno":3pyz2a9y said:
cathill":3pyz2a9y said:

Greater hip height is associated with lower pregnancy rates in Brahman cattle.
If you are going to be playing with Brimmers might look into the stuff Greg Riley has put out.
http://msucares.com/livestock/beef/geneticslunch4.pdf

Also check the LSU Agcenter website for A Compilation Of Research Results Involving Tropically Adapted Beef Cattle Breeds.

I don't think I've ever seen a Brahman with a high hip.
This is my cow, photo taken as a heifer.

10155486_10202354472077749_1996778554835519204_n.jpg

This is her first calf, 2012, bull calf
10171129_10202354476037848_3535932993639332378_n.jpg

And this is her heifer born 12/17/13 - she is actually on a hill so her hip does "look" higher but it isn't

10172642_10202354452797267_2040378299882446617_n.jpg

1513739_10202354455277329_4408093243584785307_n.jpg

And this is Rose, my other cow. She is huge, my son estimates her 1800 pounds, easy

10257963_10202354650402207_5464692916506645557_n.jpg

This is her bull calf, calved the same day, within hours of Babe's heifer calf above.

10154487_10202354645642088_1208958018896273043_n.jpg

Latest posts