Brace post

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno":ptoo6bmz said:
NORTH FLORIDA":ptoo6bmz said:
Another dumb question. I've never pulled fence before. After my corner post are braced and ready, do I pull the bottom strand or two before pounding T-post? Can you recommend any tools (strecther,wire gripper,come a long)? Sorry for all the dumb questions but I'm very green.

Son no dumb question pulling wire is dangerous get some one with experiece to help as if when strecthing wire breaks it can hit the fan.
Now I take a roll of string and go from H to H on the ground come back and drive my t post.

Listen to caustic. There is no bad sound like the one when the wire breaks and it's coming your way. Hit the ground or a fetal position and pray. No I'm not joking. When you stretch wire it is a dangerous as the least experienced person doing it. It can really hurt you bad. Having said that most people run their bottom wire first and tighten from brace to brace posts. Then use the wire as a guide to drive the inner (t posts) posts.

The article said not to run wire inside corners. I was planning for the wire to be inside my corner, can this be done? Also, if your turning the corner (90 degree) can you just loop the corner post then head the other direction?

dun":2cv7ockm said:
NORTH FLORIDA":2cv7ockm said:
Any suggestions for brace pins?

I alwasy have a few old really torn up cattle or hog panels. I just cut the wires(bars) into whatever length I need.

dun

I have always wondered why brace pins are recommended? We just toe nail the brace up and then get the corner very tight. What brace pin benifit are we missing out on?

NORTH FLORIDA":1qknrcz5 said:
The article said not to run wire inside corners. I was planning for the wire to be inside my corner, can this be done? Also, if your turning the corner (90 degree) can you just loop the corner post then head the other direction?

If you run inside on the corner the pull of the wire will be against your staple and eventually pull out.

frenchie":oiy7gp5c said:
NORTH FLORIDA":oiy7gp5c said:
Any suggestions for brace pins?

brace pins :?:

We use very few H bracesa, 2 to be exact. All the others we use a floating brace, the pin is what keeps the brace and the post aligned when it brace is lightened. OOps, just remembered 2 more but since they're 4 inch steel with a 3 inch H brace welded to them I don;t think they count.

dun

NORTH FLORIDA":3t22x2t9 said:
I still don't understand. If I loop the corner and go 90 degrees the other way, how am I pulling staples?

You dont want to loop the corner. You couldn't stetch it and
tie it off if you looped the corner.
Just pull to the corner and tie it off, leave plenty of extra. 2 or 3 ft for a later splice.
Pull your top wire first as your corners will move a little.
your top wire has the most leverage on your posts.
If you pull bottom wires first when you get to your top wires,
your bottom wires will be mysteriously loose??

hillbilly

NORTH FLORIDA":2b5zoutf said:
So I need to stop at every corner and tie. Thanks
Exactly. Go from corner to corner, cut the wire, wrap it around the post two or three times and wrap the wire back around itself. Then go to the next corner and do the same. Being in North Florida, do have sandy soil? If so, make sure those corners are in good and deep. I'd go 42 inches if possible. My daddy's place is in South Alabama 10 miles north of Florida and the soil is sandy. Corral posts will loosen up pretty quick with cows knocking against them, so I imagine brace posts would loosen when you start pulling on them with your stretchers. Set 'em deep.

I put corners 3'10" (46") . Soil is sand and some clay, do you have a suggestion on t-post spacing? I'm buying 6' and plan on sinking them 22". I was thinking 12ft spacing but wanted opinions.

NORTH FLORIDA":5w7wfdqo said:
I'm buying 6' and plan on sinking them 22".
That will give you a top wire about 48". I don't know what kind of cattle you're running, but that's not very high for a perimeter fence. And I really wouldn't even want it for a cross fence.

NORTH FLORIDA":5w7wfdqo said:
I was thinking 12ft spacing but wanted opinions.
If you can afford the 12' spacing, it will sure make you a nice fence.

Latest posts