Brace post

Help Support CattleToday:

NORTH FLORIDA

Reaction score
I'm building H-corners and wondering if it would be OK to use 8ft landscaping timbers for brace? Since they will not touch the ground how long will they last? Any suggestions for brace pins?

DO NOT USE LANDSCAPING TIMBERS!!!!!!! You will regret it in a couple of years. You can use either 4-8 inch crisoak post with a piece of pipe for the cross piece or make the whole thing out of Pipe.

NORTH FLORIDA":2coppkgc said:
Any suggestions for brace pins?

I alwasy have a few old really torn up cattle or hog panels. I just cut the wires(bars) into whatever length I need.

dun

I plan on five strands of barb-wire, 8,18,28,38,48. Will 48 be high enough. T-post 6' (22" deep) or should I use 6 1/2' (28" deep)? Most of soil is clay.

I have used landscape timbers for corner braces for several years.
Some of them are ten years old, haven't had any problems.
I run them between two railroad ties on edge. I notch the tie out with a chainsaw and nail in place.

Dan

NORTH FLORIDA":nons1cql said:
I'm building H-corners and wondering if it would be OK to use 8ft landscaping timbers for brace? Since they will not touch the ground how long will they last? Any suggestions for brace pins?

If your talking about the run of the mill timbers from Home Depot, don't do it. Most of them are "wet" and will do a "dance" (twist and turn) after installation. almost as cheap to use small wooden fence posts cut with a chainsaw to your customer length. Our local feed place has 2 1/2" posts that work great for this. There only about $2/piece here. Will last longer than you do.

Used them three years ago...no problems, just select straight ones without large knots. Notched the posts and drilled through and hammered a section of rebar as pins...still "Xed" with merchant's wire. DMc

NORTH FLORIDA":3db31tly said:

I have used about everything you can scronge up at one time or the other. Landscape timbers do ok if they have set out a while and haven't twisted into knot. The best I have come up with is scrap pipe for the H makes a great H and is easy. Set your post the distance apart that your pipe is drive a 16 penny nail in each post hang your pipe tamp your post in and add your wire crossbracing it's there forever.

What kind of pipe? Does it have to be thick wall? My polls are 8ft apart so most 3,4" aren't long enough. The 5" from the Co-op are 9$, and buying new pipe it would probally be costly. Would chain link fence pipe work?

Caustic Burno":347p5wnw said:
NORTH FLORIDA":347p5wnw said:

I have used about everything you can scronge up at one time or the other. Landscape timbers do ok if they have set out a while and haven't twisted into knot. The best I have come up with is scrap pipe for the H makes a great H and is easy. Set your post the distance apart that your pipe is drive a 16 penny nail in each post hang your pipe tamp your post in and add your wire crossbracing it's there forever.

They don't last forever we used steel pipe and some nice person stoled every crosspipe on the fence.We have a rented pasture where they had used treated fence post's someone stole those too plus the steel gates going into the pasture grrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Landscape timbers are the by product of a plywood mill and they are not pressure treated. They are dipped and the chemical does not permeate to the core. Being in north FL., you're in a humid, termite infested area. Spend the extra $$ and go with creosote posts or steel pipe. Fencing ain't fun or easy.....might as well do it right the first time.

NORTH FLORIDA":10byxxk5 said:
What kind of pipe? Does it have to be thick wall? My polls are 8ft apart so most 3,4" aren't long enough. The 5" from the Co-op are 9$, and buying new pipe it would probally be costly. Would chain link fence pipe work?

I have used chain link pipe and no it doesn't have to heavy wall. I have welded up scrap to make what length I need.
I have scronged up old water well casing to everthing else most were in three to four foot lengths. Them cold rainy days of Febuary I get in the shop with a little welding and cutting I make up a pile of H's to set by the barn for when need be. Remember to make your H strong it needs to be at least 1 time the length of the post sticking out of the ground better at a time and a half.as the brace is acting as a fulcrum to keep the post from pulling out of the ground. I guess one good thing about Rita is I have enough corner post for a long time with all these broke telephone poles I have piled up.
Son I am cheap I don't buy hardly anything.
You can almost scronge up everthing get to know your local highway boys. They are tearing out an old wooden bridge in my area called me wanted to know if I wanted all the pilings and treated timbers for cleanup,well of course.

Another dumb question. I've never pulled fence before. After my corner post are braced and ready, do I pull the bottom strand or two before pounding T-post? Can you recommend any tools (strecther,wire gripper,come a long)? Sorry for all the dumb questions but I'm very green.

NORTH FLORIDA":9c3vkenh said:
Another dumb question. I've never pulled fence before. After my corner post are braced and ready, do I pull the bottom strand or two before pounding T-post? Can you recommend any tools (strecther,wire gripper,come a long)? Sorry for all the dumb questions but I'm very green.

Son no dumb question pulling wire is dangerous get some one with experiece to help as if when strecthing wire breaks it can hit the fan.
Now I take a roll of string and go from H to H on the ground come back and drive my t post.
I have a homemade devise that holds two rolls of barb wire that I pull off with the tractor, on long pulls I run from the top strand fist and work down. Some people do it from the bottom up. I don't care for that way as the wire is always getting tangled in the other strands when you stretch it. I use a fence strectcher looks something like a car jack versus a comealong. Maybe one of the other members will have a picture of one I will try to find one, you might as well buy one cause you are going to need it from now on.

Latest posts