Bovi-shield Gold question...

Help Support CattleToday:

milkmaid

Reaction score
It's a live vaccine, 5-way Lepto, says it's not safe for pregnant cows or calves nursing pregnant cows as it can make them abort (unless vacc previously). OK...giving the vaccine to a preg cow I can understand, but not the calves nursing preg cows.

Can someone explain this to me? why isn't it safe for the cow if the calves get the vaccine?

does it have something to do with the calves nursing off the cow...or is it just bovines in close proximity to a preg cow? so is it not safe for the preg cow to be around any cows/calves vacc with 5-way? and for how long?

Thanks!

Some anitgens are shed through the calve and the cow will be exposed to the virus. Manure and urine. If your cows were vacinated within a year they should eb OK. But I would not risk it.

Scotty

Medic24":2wn2sefi said:
Could be the urine and poop thing, but more likely the saliva of the calf containing the virus and being transfered to momma via suckling. thats my guess anyway.................... :cboy:

True but it is in the feces.

Scotty

So....how long does unvacc cow need to be kept away from vacc stock, in terms of when the vacc stock was last vacc?

Cow in question is 311. She's ~110 days bred. She had Ivomec & 8-way this spring, same for the four calves with her. No 5-way. She's been pastured with her calves away from the rest of the 'herd' for reasons too long to go into here, and has been escaping and ending up in the pasture with some of my other calves.

The two in the pasture she ended up in did get 5-way this spring. That's been several months though. Is it safe for her to run in that pasture with them?

BUT, then she decided to cross the canal again, ended up off my property and in the neighbor's hay field...not acceptable, forced to pen her up until I can fix that fence/canal so she can't cross it anymore. I thought maybe I'd pen her with the new nurse cow and calves...but I vaccinated all three of them - 162 and the twins - Friday night. Can she go in the pen with them? is it safe?

I've gone to so much trouble getting 311 well and bred in the first place I REALLY don't want her to abort. I presume she had 5-way as a calf and then yearling, but that was at least 3 years ago and nothing since then. I haven't given her 5-way for illogical reasons that are too long to go into here.

Really, long story short, I just need to know if I'm risking it to put her in the same pen with the freshly vaccinated cow & calves. :?: She's tied up outside while I wait on a response... :lol: although if I don't have one by the time I finish with my chores I'll just pen her separate for the night. Not a big deal.

Thanks!

Vac her with a killed as quick as you can. I would keep her away until you can give her the vac and its booster. If she has had both befor, give her a booster. She may not get it at all. There are also some new vacines that are suposed to not throw off like the ones in the past.

Scotty

I have Virashield 5 + LV5 ...killed vaccine. My only concern is that while it doesn't specifically say not to use on bred cows, it doesn't say it's safe for preg animals, AND it says to do the first vaccination 2-4 weeks prior to breeding.

Is it safe?

Vira Shield 5+VL5 is safe for all.. This is what my vet recommended that I use. I use it every time, if they're open, bred & even just before calving. Doesn't leave too bad of a lump either.
Good Luck

Exactly what I use now. Next year since I am timing my breedings will use the MLV.

Scotty

Howdy,

Bovi-Shield Gold <-- live modified vaccine
if she did not get the yearling booster... then DO NOT USE

Cattlemaster Gold <-- killed vaccine You can use this.

also, make sure you read the label. Does it say that for all bovine? I believe there is a comment which is about DAIRY cows.

Latest posts