Bought my first calf yesterday

Help Support CattleToday:

Forgive me for asking, but what is a 4-H bottle feed project? We have 4-H beef steers, heifers,plus 4-H dairy beef and dairy here. I never heard of a 4-H bottlefeeding project.

Cheyenne,
You've got a great attitude about cows and your money, which helps when dealing with cattle. ;-)
I am happy to hear your calf is much better and that you are learning in the process. As long as he keeps improving I would just keep doing what your are doing, Jeanne is right, exercise is good for him.:)

L Weir":26o5p7vr said:
Forgive me for asking, but what is a 4-H bottle feed project? We have 4-H beef steers, heifers,plus 4-H dairy beef and dairy here. I never heard of a 4-H bottlefeeding project.

4-H bottle calves are bottle raised calf of any age that are raised by the little kids to get them familiarized with the feeding and caring for a critter. The have to lead them into the ring and stand them up (sort of) for the judges. Every kid at the local fair gts a ribbon and a silver dollar. I've seen kids as little as 4 but none oldr then maybe 8-9.

dun

Well the poor little guy is going to be spending the next couple of days at the vets. He started with signs of a respiratory infection yesterday. Called the vet last night and he said I had done everything I could for the time being and keep an eye on him.

He seemed better this morning at feeding time, but was down a couple hours later. Vet will keep him for a couple of days to give antibiotics etc. I just hope we caught this before it got too bad. He did walk from the truck to the door of the vets office on his own, so that was a good sign I guess. Vet even said his legs looked better. Gotta take the good with the bad.

Dun-

You are correct about the bottle calf project. Our county does it a little different. The kids don't bring the calves to show. They have to keep a record book and take that in and show it to the judge and have a little interview. They all get ribbons. I do know that not every county or region offers this as a project. So far it has been a good experience about caring for sick animals, for us at least.

Cheyenne,
What a shame about the calf. :( Your child's record book should be an interesting one though! I hope the calf pulls out of this and your vet can get him back on his feet. Keep us updated.