Bought calf at sale barn last week. Advice wanted!

Help Support CattleToday:

Hillary_Indiana

Reaction score
I bought a black heifer calf (I'd guess it to be about four months old) at a sale barn last week. I've had her for about a week now. She acts very healthy. I have been giving her hay and a some cracked corn every day which she consistently munches on. I turned her out in the pasture today to graze. What a cutie! I've always wanted my own calf! We're gettin another one this tuesday and that's another question...should I put them together right away or wait a week or two. Say she's four months old right now, when would be the best time to sell her for $$ purposes. We're keeping one to butcher, and just selling the other when it gets big. My dad is letting me raise it. He pays all expenses. I do all work. I get the end money. I think I'm supposed to learn responsibility but I love it. I live in South-central indiana. Any advice would be great!

1. Do I need to give this calf any kind of vaccine? All other animals on our farm are assuredly healthy.

2. When do I worm it?

3. Does it need a salt block?

4. Any other advice would be appreciated!

I have access to Tractor Supply, so any specific named products that I can get there would be great. :cboy:

Hillary

Congratulations on your new calf!

Definitely think about getting a buddy for your calf...they are herd animals.

She should be vaccinated for Blackleg, and respiratory diseases since she came from sale barn unless you have documentated proof she was vaccinated. As a heifer, she needs to be vaccinated against Brucellosis (Vet has to do and certify this). There is a time limit on age to do this...check with your vet. Brucellosis vaccination is Federal Law. DE-WORM her asap...we use injectible Ivomec Plus.

Make sure she has good (mold free) hay free choice 24/7, salt block, mineral/molasses tub, clean fresh water 24/7, and shelter for bad weather, especially cold rainy windy weather in fall/winter/spring.

Rate of gain should average about 2.0 lbs a day. Not less than 1.5 lbs a day. Primary food is HAY...needed to keep Rumen bacteria working for proper digestion and warmth generation. Corn and bagged feeds provide fat and carbohydrates. Hay provides protein.

Selling usually for best prices at sales are generally in 400 to 600 lb range with slaughter weights in the 700 to 900 lb range.

Hillary_Indiana":1zuu9o7o said:
Thank you that was so informational!

You're Welcome! Tractor Supply should have most of what you need.

On corn, use cracked corn rather than whole corn...digests better, less waste.

We use a "Weight Tape" to track our cattle weights and to "weigh" for administering injectible de-wormer. Tapes properly used are more or less about 5% accurate with scales weight. PM me if want more info on weight tapes, or other items.

Bill

Running Arrow Bill":2f1dcu1v said:
Brucellosis vaccination is Federal Law.

There are numerous states where the Bangs vaccine is NOT required, Nebraska is one, so is Florida, so is Missouri (from what I've recently been told). If a state is Class Free, it does not require a Bangs vaccination.
It is a good idea to give it, but it is NOT a nationwide requirement.
My vet laughs at me when I have him vaccinate my heifers, tells me there hasn't been a case of Brucellosis in Nebraska in years and I'm just wasting money and being a worry wart.

Ann B

G&L Cattle":1i9ydsmc said:
Hey Bill,
I would like to know more about the weight tape. Can one be found at tractor supply? THANKS!! GLEN

we use the weight tapes for baby calves & they work well (+/- 2lbs). they can be ordered online from Valley Vet Supply. if you order one, you may want to experiment w/them & double-check w/a real scale to determine how snug to pull the tape to get an accurate measurement.

we only use them for the newborns. anything else, we use a cattle scale.

Ann Bledsoe":2mdgnfoa said:
Running Arrow Bill":2mdgnfoa said:
Brucellosis vaccination is Federal Law.

There are numerous states where the Bangs vaccine is NOT required, Nebraska is one, so is Florida, so is Missouri (from what I've recently been told). If a state is Class Free, it does not require a Bangs vaccination.
It is a good idea to give it, but it is NOT a nationwide requirement.
My vet laughs at me when I have him vaccinate my heifers, tells me there hasn't been a case of Brucellosis in Nebraska in years and I'm just wasting money and being a worry wart.

Ann B

Thanks for correcting me, Ann! Guess my brain had a crash when I posted that...had just finished our last 2300 feet of pasture water lines...!

Anyway, YES, if a state is certified Brucellosis free, then it wouldn't be a requirement. However, it is still a good policy to vaccinate for Brucellosis, especially on new heifers. This also helps one's "Marketability" when shipping a female to a NON-certified free state. Just because a State or herd is certified "free" doesn't mean it will remain that way next year, etc., etc.

We have purchased Longhorn females from certified free States. However, since we are getting close to be approved as a TAHC certified free herd, all of our breeding age cattle will be re-tested on a yearly basis for TB and Brucellosis to maintain our TAHC Certification status.

Hillary, I always loved the responsibilty of the animals when I was in school, and even now. I always read what I could and tried to do it the right way. This forum has so much information and so many different sites on the web. I drove everyone crazy telling them what I read. (I still do!) I am learning more about cattle now. I used to have horses, and chickens. Only one pig. I would get up earlier than my Mother, and would go back in to get her up before we went to school. I think so many young people actually miss out on a lot when they don't have responsibilities like you, and it really does help when you are enjoying it too. It will be fun to watch them grow and gain weight. You will be far ahead of those that are worried only about superficial things, and if you continue to stay in this line of work, you will really be ahead. The older generation will enjoy your questions and can also learn about the new things you learn, since some have a tendency to do it the "old" way, because they think it is the only way. They might laugh at what you say, because they don't want you to know more, but they will think about it when they get home. You might even get them to reading! I enjoyed reading your post. It made me think about when I first started learning in school. Good luck! Chuckie

G&L Cattle":122xebw9 said:
Hey Bill,
I would like to know more about the weight tape. Can one be found at tractor supply? THANKS!! GLEN

Possibly, as well as some of the mail order suppliers such as Valley Vet, etc. (Running Arrow Farm also sells weight tapes and bull nose rings on our equine site. Can order online via credit card, fast shipping).

To find website links on any of above, just type in the name of the company on your browser.

Bill

Chuckie,

I used to have a pig (only one) over this past spring/summer for my first 4-h hog project. I used to get up extra early and go out there every morning before I left for school to feed and play with her a little bit. She acted like a dog by the time it was time for the show. I would call for her and she'd come and on hot days I'd spray her with the hose (she absolutely loved that!!) I wish I would've gotten into cattle sooner because I would've loved to show...but oh well. I have gotten a lot out of my experience with animals. Going down south today to get another calf! Have a good day!

Hillary

I did the same with my pig. The experience was much like the friendly bull post on this forum. She got used to me catching her giant grasshoppers to eat and she would wheel around on me and almost knock me down. And she started eating the grasshoppers and my fingers too! She got big! Good luck on your 2nd calf. Be sure to let us know what you got! Chuckie

Our new calf is a purebred black angus steer. He was $300.00 and we bought him from a vet so he has all of his shots plus the vet threw in shots for our other calf for free. This calf is about twice the size of our first one (which was $165 at the sale barn). They love each other, the first calf is so happy to have company. But the bigger one immediately took the lead, funny stuff! I didn't ask the vet how old he was, I think he said something like five months. If he's five months I bet the other calf is three or four months (she's a heifer). When would be the optimum butchering time? We are going to sell one and keep one to butcher. I figured we could sell the steer considering we don't need much beef for just our family and we'd get more money out of the steer. Do they ever need any more shots or anything?

Hillary[/img]

Latest posts