botulism vaccine?

Help Support CattleToday:

milkmaid

Reaction score
Anyone know if/where a person could get their hands on botulism vaccines for cattle?

Thanks!

I am not absolutely sure that 7-way blackleg/Clostridium provides immunity from botulism but it is a distinct possibility b/c it (botulism) is definitely a Clostridial disease. There may be some cross-immunity. Botulism is very common in poultry but not so in cattle , but conditions vary. Usually associated with spoiled grain or rotten flesh.

you might call your vet, or call jeffers and ask them.. 1-800 jeffers

jt

I haven't been able to find it available anywhere - there's very little mention of it in articles about botulism, but there does appear to be a vaccine...somewhere. I checked the bottle of 8-way that I have and botulisim is not covered by that vaccine.

As to why - a friend near me has lost close to a half-dozen cows to this, and has another half-dozen that are suspected to be coming down with it. I'm kinda looking for the vaccine for my own use (would hate to lose cows to it, after seeing his herd) and also I know he'd like to vaccinate the remainder of his herd for it, if possible. If I can find out how to get the vaccine I'll let him know as well.

The internet offers very little information about the botulism - treatment and whether or not cows can even recover from this is something I have had trouble finding.

Along the same lines - anyone had an experience with botulism in cattle? any suggestions, advice for this friend of mine?

Thanks-

milkmaid":2gafyvdn said:
As to why - a friend near me has lost close to a half-dozen cows to this, and has another half-dozen that are suspected to be coming down with it. I'm kinda looking for the vaccine for my own use (would hate to lose cows to it, after seeing his herd) and also I know he'd like to vaccinate the remainder of his herd for it, if possible. If I can find out how to get the vaccine I'll let him know as well.

how were they able to diagnose this? if by a vet, what does he/she recommend?

jt

Vet suggested antibiotics, prescribed one of the "mycins"...and one of the treated cows died within 24 hours.

I found this quote from an article on botulism...

Antibiotics are of little value as the disease is cause by the preformed toxin and not the bacteria. Antitoxin is available but is very expensive and only stops the progression of the clinical disease.

It implies antibiotics are useless against this. I talked with another vet this morning, and she suggested penicillin (another antibiotic!); I wonder if either vet really knows what to do. We're rather limited in our choice of vets here - there aren't many.

milkmaid... just a thought... but maybe you could call a university or 2 and see if someone there could help... i dont know which one to tell you to try or who to talk to there, but maybe some others on these boards can add to this thought?? and give you some names...

good luck

jt

Latest posts