'Bottle Jaw'

Help Support CattleToday:

Silo13

Reaction score
I have a 20 day old Jersey Limousin cross (about 65-70lbs) heifer who developed what I've been told is 'bottle jaw'.
I've never encountered this condition before. It is not an abscess - I've checked inside the mouth, it's not hot, it isn't soft to palpation but hard and 'growing' off the jaw.

I gave her Ivomec Plus on instruction of a vet.

She developed a fever of 104.5 two days after her de-worming - and scours.

I treated her with LA 200 for a few days (even though I hear you're only supposed to use it once the man at the feed store who raises cows told me to do this).

The fever went away - the nob on her jaw decreased in size. I was told by the veterinarian it would go away with LA 200.
It didn't.

Now her fever is back - but only 102.5. The size of the nob on her jaw has increased though.

She's being fed small amounts of milk (4 times a day) as she got the scours and they were heck to heal (cured them with 'Bounce Back' and an scour medication).

She has a protein tub and is on a medicated milk replacer. She's not thin but I know she needs more milk and I'm thinking she's lacking the protein
she needs.

Any suggestions on how to get this nob to go away and keep her fever down. Penn.G.P? Re-worm her?

And no, please don't tell me to take her to a vet - that isn't possible for many reasons I'm not able to go into here.

Thank you so much!

I am sorry that you can not utilize a vet, because that's probably what she needs.
Besides "Bottle jaw" is a soft pendulous swelling under the jaw and not a hard lump on the bone. I truely think that you need a proper diagnosis.

It's not lumpy jaw - or popcorn jaw.
And it is a hard lump - but still palpable - it's not like a rock but it isn't an abscess.
Thanks!

Latest posts