Bottle Calf that coughes after taking bottle question?

Help Support CattleToday:

It is normal to get hammered and criticised when you first join a forum. :) I am not running a dairy here. I wish I was. I would love to work at a dairy but I would not want to own one. With the overhead and the razor thin profit margin even in normal times I don't know how they do it. Surely there is little room on a working dairy to be sentimental about your livestock. My husband is from a multigenerational beef cattle ranch of a couple of sections. A section is a square mile. In fact I met him riding (trespassing) in his hay field 40 years ago. His dad had created a registered herd of Charlaise by breeding them up. I used to ride through the palce at night- I remember white cattle standing in the moonlight with fireflies. When his father died the family had to sell the herd to pay the death tax. My husband then bred up a herd of pureblood Beefmasters. It takes three generations.

The 55 square mile forest fire of 2011 burned up the ranch. He had to sell his herd because there was no hay or pasture in the whole country. We lived in what I called the calf hospital because the ranchhouse and barns everything burned and we were there too. We wern't married then, we were best friends. My place had also burned up and I had evacuated my little herd of purebred Saanens (dairy goats) there because I thought they would be safe. The barn they were in also burned up. The USDA gave money to people for livestock that were killed. I took the money and bought a Jersey heifer because I never really like goat milk anyway. Jerseys are not like other cows. For 1000 years they have been house cows. They are affectionate and high maintanence. I fell in love with the breed.

So, he and his brother decided to sell the ranch because, he said, he was too old to dig post holes and his brother was pushing 80. We moved across the country to a small ranch in Oregon. The fences were a joke of leaning barb wire held together with baling twine. Black cattle would get out on the road t night, so he and I fenced the whole place for horses. We lease the pastures to beef cattle owning neighbors. I brought my Jersey and two horses in a trailer. I have had this Jersey for 11 years. Yes it's true she is a pet. I learned to make 7 kinds of cheese because of her. She has produced 7 half Angus calves and I was not sentimental, I sold them for meat. Two of them were heifers I thought I would sell for family milk cows. It took all summer to halterbreak these heifers and then I was gone a while, came back and it was like no one had ever laid a hand on them. I think they must have inherited the Scottish dispositon. But I was not sentimental about them either and sold them for meat.

Daphne, thats her name, is what you would call a cull cow. I was gone for the summer when we lived in Texas and during that time another fire burned onto the ranch. The cowboys rounded up all the cattle and horses to an auction yard across the river, including Daphne and her calf. They sold her big calf. So Daphne, unmilked with open teats lay in a filthy dirt cattle pen for days stressed out with big beef cows beating her up. These cowboys don't know how to take care of dairy cows. So and when I came back Daphne was hot as a fire cracker and had mastitis in all four quarters. She was burning with fever and was septic. I took her to the vet, who got a pus sample and sent it to the lab and it came back negative. NEGATIVE. For this they charged me $200.

So I found a lab in Wisconsin online they air ship you some test tubes you send milk samples by air back, you don't even have to have them on ice. They do a rapid DNA analysis, culture and sensitivity and email you what organisms and what ABX kills it- it was Baytril. So I gave Daphne shots of Baytril for 10 days and her life was saved but she lost her 2 back quarters. One of the organisms was Staph which never really goes away. It flairs up every time they freshen and sure enough, with this pure Jersey heifer she only had one teat that worked, because the other had mastitis. I was not letting my precious baby drink pus so I bottlefeed her. She has two mothers but just vistits Daphne across the fence. Honeydew, thats her name, definitely knows who feeds her and yes, I admit, shes a pet.

She is Daphne's replacement. Daphne is retired now, I am not selling her for meat but she will not be bred again. And drying her up saves her body condition score. Because the pasture grass is just a standing hay crop of straw. My husband says well her cow pies are flat like pancakes so her rumen bacteria are doing OK. He knows a lot about cattle just not dairy cattle.

I came here to learn all I can about dairying and cows. My two are money pits but heres a thing- There is a woman in the next county who sells raw Jersey milk for "pet milk" and gets $9 a quart. It is illegal in this state to sell raw milk or advertise sale of raw milk. People have to pick it up at the farm and use it for pets. So I figured I could make $100 a day. Thats $3000 a month thats $36,000 a year from one cow.

daphne flymask.JPG

thumbnail_Show girl.jpg

Thank you farmerjan for explaining how to more successfully share milk. I did keep the calves away overnight but I did not have a proper routine and Daphne KNEW that calf would be there next. She is a great holder inner of milk. She could turn it off like a faucet. THAT was her routine because she knew her baby would be next :) In spite of that I got a gallon a day out of her and made a pound of cheese, butter icecream whatever. I am a skinny person. I had my blood cholesterols tested and it had gone sjy high because I was the other calf of a Jersey cow.

Maybe @cramz only posted a few times because their feelings were hurt. The thing about the internet you can't see the facial expressions of the person talking which is a big part of communication. Even knowing this I impulsively insulted sky tree but immediately apologised. Yes I should definitely wait a week before insulting people he he :)

MurrysMutts isn't there a way to tell if it is a freemartin? Something about gently inserting a sterilized sticklike thing into the baby heifers genital tract? A free martin only goes a short way in because the bullcalf's hormones messed her up during development, right? She might be a prefectly good heifer. Maybe a vet could tell at this age.

...... Oh, I see you are selling her today. I hope you got a good price.

Thank you farmerjan for explaining how to more successfully share milk. I did keep the calves away overnight but I did not have a proper routine and Daphne KNEW that calf would be there next. She is a great holder inner of milk. She could turn it off like a faucet. THAT was her routine because she knew her baby would be next :) In spite of that I got a gallon a day out of her and made a pound of cheese, butter icecream whatever. I am a skinny person. I had my blood cholesterols tested and it had gone sjy high because I was the other calf of a Jersey cow.

Maybe @cramz only posted a few times because their feelings were hurt. The thing about the internet you can't see the facial expressions of the person talking which is a big part of communication. Even knowing this I impulsively insulted sky tree but immediately apologised. Yes I should definitely wait a week before insulting people he he :)

MurrysMutts isn't there a way to tell if it is a freemartin? Something about gently inserting a sterilized sticklike thing into the baby heifers genital tract? A free martin only goes a short way in because the bullcalf's hormones messed her up during development, right? She might be a prefectly good heifer. Maybe a vet could tell at this age.

...... Oh, I see you are selling her today. I hope you got a good price.
There's a place not far from here that'll pull blood and send off to a lab to tell if she was a freemartin or not. Easiest way I've found. 100 bucks

But yes, she sold and did extremely well!
She was March born and weighed 250lbs flat. Her "brother" weighed 455 at the same age. The only reason I'd liked to keep her was her sweet disposition. She was just a beef calf. Would've taken way too much to get her where she needed to be. For my operation anyway....

Thanks for the story!
That's a pretty Jersey gal ya got there!
Here's Opal on the right. I've been raising her up from a weanling. She should have her first calf by end of year. I plan on putting extra calves on her. I love the thought of milking one for house use, but honestly I don't know that I'll ever do it, as much as I'd like to.
20220807_130357.jpg

Thank you. That is my first Jersey Daphne as a long yearling. She produced a lot of 1/2 Angus calves and made me a lot of milk. Now she is an 11 year old pet cow with 1 teat that works because of mastitis. While I was gone to another state the cowboys moved her and all the cattle and horses to an auction yard across the river because the ranch was on fire. Her calf was weaned and sold and she lay in a filty pen at the yard with open teats and got 5 kinds of bacteria in all four quarters. When I came back I found her almost dead from sepsis. Cowboys do not know how to take care of dairy cows. A two week course of Baytril saved her life. So now she only has one quarter that produces milk the other probably has staph mastitis again. I dried her off and bottle raised the calf and Daphne is retired. Here is the calf.
Honey2.JPG