Bottle calf blues

Help Support CattleToday:

darcelina4

Reaction score
I'm really upset tonight. I raise lots of bottle calves. I think I'm pretty good at it. I've only ever lost a couple. I buy them. I raise them up. I usually sell some as feeders after they are weaned or as yearlings as pet/family cows. I hardly ever sell bottle calves. But a couple days ago I drove a ways and bought a group of calves from a dairy I've bought from before. I decided to sell a couple at a profit to defray the cost on the ones I want to keep. Last night I made a deal to sell one heifer and we met at the feed store this morning to make the deal. The heifer was healthy. Looked great this morning. They had asked if they could get help since they had never raised a bottle calf. I am happy to help. They sent me a few vague text throughout the day about the calf. I tried to get more info. They said she was sick. I offered to come and help. They declined and took her to a university vet hospital. Then texted they put her down as it was going to be too expensive to treat her. I'm so upset that they killed this calf. I would have treated her for free. Probably bought her back if given the chance. But now they asked for a refund. I said no. They are trying to get some sort of money back or another calf. I would not sell them another let alone give them one. I dont even know what they think was wrong. Not scouring, normal temp, ect. The calf is dead because they killed her. I'm upset for the calf. She was great this morning. My daughter thinks they are trying to scam me. What do you all think?

I suspect you're being scammed. Regardless, no warranties on bottle calves. Buyer beware.

Sounds like they are trying to skam you. It's not uncommon in my area for people to buy cattle, resell them for a profit and call the original owner to say that the cows or calf died, to try to get the money back. People have been caught doing it.

Just for fun, I would ask for the name of the vet that worked on their case so you can follow up with them to see what was actually wrong and if your other calves are at risk. My guess is you don't hear from them again.

M.Magis said:
Just for fun, I would ask for the name of the vet that worked on their case so you can follow up with them to see what was actually wrong and if your other calves are at risk. My guess is you don't hear from them again.

I agree I would ask for a signed statement from or request that the vet personally call you to confirm this. Some people are just looking for an angle to get money. By them not accepting your offer of assistance that is a pretty good clue that they are not being truthful.

That stinks gal.
There always one in the bunch looking for a handout I reckon. Hope the others do well for you!

I had a friend of a friend with a bottle baby. They knew all about em!
They were having trouble with the newly acquired bottle calf taking a bottle, so I offered assistance.
They accepted. Couldnt figure out for the life of em why it would not take the bottle.
I get there and this poor calf is all sunken in and barely able to walk. Eating grass every time it manages get on its feet. He was pitiful!!
They were already there when I arrived, "trying" to get the bottle in the calf. Lol
Funniest thing I seen in a while. The poor folks were just standing there with the bottle in their hands, and they would walk up to the calf and shove it in the lil bulls face. Well u can guess how that went. He just went about his merry way grazing. REPEATEDLY! Lmao.
I took the bottle, caught up to the lil bull, and backed him in a corner. Pretty easy go of it really. He was pretty weak. Anyway. Did the usual. Straddle. Hold bottle with one hand. Calf mouth with the other and shoved her home, squeezing a bit of milk all at the same time.
Took a few minutes, the whole time these folks are staring in awe, then the light bulb came on! Lil bull now knows where food comes from!!
I took the bottle and handed it to the new owner and b4 I could say anything guess where the calf hit him? Yep! Right where he was holding the bottle. Ouch!

I guess some people really dont have a clue...

MurraysMutts said:
That stinks gal.
There always one in the bunch looking for a handout I reckon. Hope the others do well for you!

I had a friend of a friend with a bottle baby. They knew all about em!
They were having trouble with the newly acquired bottle calf taking a bottle, so I offered assistance.
They accepted. Couldnt figure out for the life of em why it would not take the bottle.
I get there and this poor calf is all sunken in and barely able to walk. Eating grass every time it manages get on its feet. He was pitiful!!
They were already there when I arrived, "trying" to get the bottle in the calf. Lol
Funniest thing I seen in a while. The poor folks were just standing there with the bottle in their hands, and they would walk up to the calf and shove it in the lil bulls face. Well u can guess how that went. He just went about his merry way grazing. REPEATEDLY! Lmao.
I took the bottle, caught up to the lil bull, and backed him in a corner. Pretty easy go of it really. He was pretty weak. Anyway. Did the usual. Straddle. Hold bottle with one hand. Calf mouth with the other and shoved her home, squeezing a bit of milk all at the same time.
Took a few minutes, the whole time these folks are staring in awe, then the light bulb came on! Lil bull now knows where food comes from!!
I took the bottle and handed it to the new owner and b4 I could say anything guess where the calf hit him? Yep! Right where he was holding the bottle. Ouch!

I guess some people really dont have a clue...

Some young relatives of mine have been raising a calf each on my farm for the last two years. I showed them exactly what to do, then they come in twice a day heat up the milk and give their calves their bottles, 8 & 9 years. They *still* don't hold the bottle correctly so that the calf can feed easily.
I really thought they'd learn by doing, but it doesn't seem so. And what I instruct them, they've forgotten a moment later.

Latest posts