Boredom seems to be a crisis

Help Support CattleToday:

herofan

Reaction score
During this shut down, I hear media talk about the virus itself, the economy, and boredom has to be number three. All the talk shows are talking about things to do while everyone is shut in. I saw one lady being interviewed recently, and she was about to have a meltdown. I also hear the hosts themselves going bats being shut in. I realize everyone doesn't own a farm, but I figure if boredom was my biggest issue during a crisis, I'd consider myself living a wonderful life.

One one hand, it is often said that we are a society who keeps our nose in a phone or some kind of device anyway, especially the younger generation, but now that we've been shut in for an entire week and a half, whew, people are going nuts. I'm sure the generation who had to live through a decade of depression followed by a World War would have been happy to have had a little boredom as their biggest problem.

I agree so long as I can get supplies I have plenty to do. I remember my parents say the were rationed gas , could not get tires, iron was gathered up and made into weapons of war. Most county folks did not have electricity or running water so it was not much different than everyday living. They were self sufficient , I can only imagine what it was like living in a city.

herofan said:
During this shut down, I hear media talk about the virus itself, the economy, and boredom has to be number three. All the talk shows are talking about things to do while everyone is shut in. I saw one lady being interviewed recently, and she was about to have a meltdown. I also hear the hosts themselves going bats being shut in. I realize everyone doesn't own a farm, but I figure if boredom was my biggest issue during a crisis, I'd consider myself living a wonderful life.

One one hand, it is often said that we are a society who keeps our nose in a phone or some kind of device anyway, especially the younger generation, but now that we've been shut in for an entire week and a half, whew, people are going nuts. I'm sure the generation who had to live through a decade of depression followed by a World War would have been happy to have had a little boredom as their biggest problem.

Not as long as there are hogs in the woods and bass at the lake.
Matagorda Bay would be a good place to social distancing as well chasing reds and specks.

Not much boredom here either. Getting back in the swing of things after rotator cuff surgery back in January. Lots to do.

Today makes two weeks of work from home for me. Actually putting in many more hours per week, than I was before. The ground is saturated, so I don't mind the increased workload. When it dries out, setting here on the computer is going to start to eat me alive.

jltrent said:
A lot of people off work and it will be hard for them to stay at home.

I remember my grandparent's generation would rather stay home most of the time. Even when I was a kid, we could barely get them to go on any kind of recreational outing. My grandfather could always come up with a "sick cow" excuse.
We weren't away from home a lot when I was a kid either. I guess that shows how on- the-go our culture is these days.

Most people today are mindless consumers that produce nothing of value and only live to consume. They can't do that now and reality of life sucks. Imagine the numbers show a drastic increase in suicides.

Aaron said:
Most people today are mindless consumers that produce nothing of value and only live to consume. They can't do that now and reality of life sucks. Imagine the numbers show a drastic increase in suicides.

That's kind of harsh but also true of too many people I know.

Wife told me there seems to be an increase in teen runaways over the last few days?? Related?

Bored? Naw, my children are ready for some social distancing from me. Been cutting up firewood, cleaning barn, picking up sticks and limbs from pastures..they're ready to go back to school

bball said:
Bored? Naw, my children are ready for some social distancing from me. Been cutting up firewood, cleaning barn, picking up sticks and limbs from pastures..they're ready to go back to school

I think half of Harris county is on the deer leases playing or on Rayburn and Toledo fishing.
I went to pick up the fertilizer buggy yesterday and the feed store manager said he was almost out of everything for food plots and deer feeders.
This morning I went to Rayburn with my hay man it was hard to find a parking spot.

Pick up that telephone and call someone you have not chatted with in a year or more. Do it once a day. That call might save the day at the other end. I did just that by accident the other day.

Called an old friend - wife answered. She had called the police and her husband had been cuffed. The arresting officer and my friend were both Veterans. Turns out I also knew the cop but not his partner. They talked it out over coffees and then I chatted with him on speaker phone while the cops listened in and commented once in a while.

Things settled down and they let him stay home.

I now chat with him every day and things are improving.

Do it for yourself and do it for your friends.

One can never know what they are going through and your call might actually be the thing that prevents something stupid from happening.

Best to all

L

My neighbor finally cut his grass and cleaned up around his house. He was actually trying to teach his son to mow. I always thought they were vampires by the way the shuffled so quickly from the car to the house.

Maybe people will realize how dumb their kids are during this time and try to do some thing about it.

I could see a lot of boredom in cities were they are use to socializing and now that is discouraged. Most members on this board probably does not fit that lifestyle.

jltrent said:
I could see a lot of boredom in cities were they are use to socializing and now that is discouraged. Most members on this board probably does not fit that lifestyle.

I thrive on boring routine. Hate excitement of any kind.

Latest posts