Bolus Gun Tip

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
I use an oxytetracycline HCL, 500 mg bolus to treat scours. The barrel on the calf bolus gun will not friction fit the bolus. In fact, it will not fit the First Defense bolus either. The bolus slides out. I have lost a couple First Defense boluses when trying to get one down a newborn's neck.

What I do is put some peanut butter on the bolus. Works perfect. Holds the bolus while wrestling with a calf getting the bolus gun in their mouth.
fbgqyo.jpg

callmefence":uvqpoeda said:
Good tip prince. Is it the bolus or the gun? I gave up on plastic a long time ago.

These plastic guns are like a dollar a piece. I buy them by the dozen. They are basically disposable. The diameter of the bore is too big. I have used several bolus products, they all just slide out. When you do this by yourself, it can be frustrating. I have not lost one since using the peanut butter.

I've never bought or used one of those yet. We must not have that problem down here. That is a good idea, about like sticking grease on a bolt or nut to hold it.

True Grit Farms":fv2nd80b said:
I've never bought or used one of those yet. We must not have that problem down here. That is a good idea, about like sticking grease on a bolt or nut to hold it.

Same concept.

Vince
Scours is universal. All it takes is an Escherichia coli bacteria which are in all manure. The K99 is the strain of E coli that causes scours. To provide immunity against E coli and coronavirus, you have to get a bolus down their throat and into their stomach in the first 12 hours after birth. It is marketed as First Defense. The only way I know to do that effectively is with a bolus gun.

Now, if a calf still gets scours, the best treatment is a bolus of oxytetracycline. There again, you need a bolus gun.

I lube boluses coated in Vaseline. Holds it securely in whatever gun you prefer and facilitates swallowing. Keep a jar in my calving box. Additionally, handy for coating anus and/or vulva & tail for calves with a sticky/stinky butt to prevent fly strike.

76 Bar":38365mzj said:
I lube boluses coated in Vaseline. Holds it securely in whatever gun you prefer and facilitates swallowing. Keep a jar in my calving box. Additionally, handy for coating anus and/or vulva & tail for calves with a sticky/stinky butt to prevent fly strike.

Bar. That is a good tip. I decided on peanut butter for boluses because I wasn't sure if vaseline had any adverse effects.

I like that idea on calves. Flies can really be bad on calves in early September. I spray a little permethrin around the anus, vulva and naval of young calves.

Good tips! I've never had a problem with the First Defense not staying securely in the balling gun or Sustian III for calves (when it was still available) but the smaller boluses do pose a problem. I've had a couple older calves with snotty noses earlier this year but lucky for me they were hand feeders so I'd just give them a cube, then a bolus with a cube, then another cube to wash it down & so on. I use Desitin (for diaper rash) on raw behinds but Vaseline is definitely less expensive and I always have it, primarily for taking temps.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2iciec9h said:
When ever I have a bolus that is too small, I wad soft hay into the bolus gun along with the bolus.

Like Bar said - the peanut butter or vaseline keeps them from spitting it up.

I just hold the bolus in my finger tips, press down tongue with my thumb with my other hand, and stick it down their gullet. From new borns to 1800 pound bulls.
Once had my dad hold open a steers mouth, and I went elbow deep to pull out a mass of twine and hay that got plugged up.

sim.-ang.king":av7eq1w5 said:
I just hold the bolus in my finger tips, press down tongue with my thumb with my other hand, and stick it down their gullet. From new borns to 1800 pound bulls.
Once had my dad hold open a steers mouth, and I went elbow deep to pull out a mass of twine and hay that got plugged up.
You're a better man than me! Oh, wait . . . . ;-) :lol:

TCRanch":3fj7n12e said:
sim.-ang.king":3fj7n12e said:
You're a better man than me! Oh, wait . . . . ;-) :lol:

He is a "younger man than me". Maybe better too. But I can tell you. I have had some 150 pound calves give me a hard time. When they do, about 100 % of the time, I look down and the bolus is gone. Lol

I must be a high roller, I've got one thats stainless Steel with a spring loaded clip to hold the bolus...bought it along with a bunch of other cattle work instruments from a old cattleman...

Bright Raven":2e7xq16t said:
I use an oxytetracycline HCL, 500 mg bolus to treat scours. The barrel on the calf bolus gun will not friction fit the bolus. In fact, it will not fit the First Defense bolus either. The bolus slides out. I have lost a couple First Defense boluses when trying to get one down a newborn's neck.

What I do is put some peanut butter on the bolus. Works perfect. Holds the bolus while wrestling with a calf getting the bolus gun in their mouth.

Will any brand work AND can you use crunchy if that's all you have? :hide: I've been lucky I suppose. Haven't given a bolus in several years.

TexasBred":f4ovgaxw said:
Bright Raven":f4ovgaxw said:

Will any brand work AND can you use crunchy if that's all you have? :hide: I've been lucky I suppose. Haven't given a bolus in several years.

You can use crunchy, as long as it is Skippy. Lol

ALACOWMAN":ee65u951 said:
I must be a high roller, I've got one thats stainless Steel with a spring loaded clip to hold the bolus...bought it along with a bunch of other cattle work instruments from a old cattleman...
You are a high roller! I have a stainless/clear rubber I use to insert magnets but it can be tough on boluses, specifically the First Defense because they're somewhat delicate.
https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.htm ... b0d0204ae5

Thanks to those who appreciated my Vaseline tip. To the best of my knowledge there's no ingestion harm. As for smearing it on butts to prevent fly strike, even in high temps its viscosity prevails and superior to fly repellant which is short lived. Been there, done that.
The old superior balling gun with spring and/or "soft" tip is sadly no longer made. Thank your lucky stars you have one.
No way would I put my hand down a calf or especially a mature animals mouth sans significant protection.

Latest posts