body massage

Help Support CattleToday:

M5farm

Reaction score
How many of you get or have gotten a massage for back pain.

I tweeked my back last night and have got to have some relief today. several people(all women) have suggested that I get a deep tissue massage. I have never had one and have not seen a chiropractor in over 30 years. I'm curious if they work before I give 50 bucks to some chick .

I have not asked my wife to try to rub a knot or pain out, sometimes it hurts worst to touch it other times it has helped just a little. What has always helped is drugs from the doc. I would hate to lay down $50 and be tortured by the massage.

Get some muscle relaxants and pain killers and have a nap. Went to chiropractor once two years ago when I tore a muscle in my back and his screwing around just made everything worse long-term - now I actually do have some 'slop' in my spine, everything was tight as could be before that quack.

Would never go back to chiropractors because it really is true that they make their living by screwing your back up and always having you come back.

Not sure what you mean by tweaked? But a genuine small tear will not be helped by a massage. I get Knots once in a while from lifting weights and a massage can help get those out. It hurts though. Also ART treatment can help with chronic knots or muscles blocking nerve passages.

But a pulled or torn muscle is best to use rest or drugs as other have suggested.

On the side, we have a chiropracter in our bible study that x rayed me and said I had a horrible spine. I told him I have never had spine pain and lifted very heavy. Had a few "adjustments" waste of time for me. Did nothing. Some claim to be able to straighten you only if you see them 2-3 times a week for a year (yeah right who's payin?) Been to one very realistic decent honest one who did the ART stuff.

I am used to lifting very heavy things and have done weight training most of my life. I have pulled muscles before and this is very similar. Their are 2 little girls 5 and 6 yrs old that have become part of our life and when I arrived at their house last night the youngest came running and jumped into my arms to give me a hug. I turned to set her down on the couch and I felt a ting in my low back she maybe weighs 40#. The last time I went to a chiropractor was the result of an auto accident and I was fixed in a short time. several (females) have said that massage therapy has done wonder for them and I was curious if any of you had seen similar results. right now I'm sitting in my office chair with a massage/ heat pad and took some hydro condone. it feels some better but don't know if it the meds or the pad.

A massage can work really well to loosen tight muscles, but not a good idea for an injury.
The benefit is to relax and loosen everything up, so that you do not injure yourself as easily.
An injury requires rest, anti inflammatories and cold and heat therapy.
With that said, massages do feel great and are well worth the $50!!

For me I'm not so scared they will screw up my back, but that I'll become addicted to not having knots.
Since birth I've had a shoulder that's all out of whack, it doesn't bother me for strength, but I have a lesser range of motion with it, and it's probably why I always have tight muscles in my neck.
I've also done all sorts of stuff I shouldn't have to my back.. stepping in a pothole while carrying 120 lbs is not a good idea. For that, it was just time and rest that got me over it.

Rest up, perhaps some anti-inflamatories are in order. Get well soon

branguscowgirl":16mwnajz said:
A massage can work really well to loosen tight muscles, but not a good idea for an injury.
The benefit is to relax and loosen everything up, so that you do not injure yourself as easily.
An injury requires rest, anti inflammatories and cold and heat therapy.
With that said, massages do feel great and are well worth the $50!!

This is the reply to take seriously. IMO

M5, it may feel a lot like a muscle strain, but it sounds like it could also be a nerve or disc thing. Especially since it sounds like it happened while twisting.
Give it today with the heat and as little strain as possible. I, too, would recommend anti-inflammatories and heat/ice rather than the HC at this point. Pain killers are likely to make you feel better enough to do something you shouldn't ought to do. :D
Deep tissue massage can work wonders, and has it's therapeutic place, just like manipulation therapy does, but you need to be certain about a diagnosis first. In this instance, I would choose a chiropractor before a masseuse because they will take x-rays before treating.

M5farm":rxeqfx1y said:
I tweaked my back last night and have got to have some relief today. several people(all women) have suggested that I get a deep tissue massage. I have never had one and have not seen a chiropractor in over 30 years. I'm curious if they work before I give 50 bucks to some chick .

Women do seem to favor deep tissue massages. I like the hot oil but I usually feel worse afterwards.
Our local resident expert favors acupuncture. No experience here.
A quick back crack (er) works for me almost all of the time. I avoided chiropractors for decades, but can and do work for alignment issues.

Cold compresses and hot compresses. Alternate every 15 minutes for an hour. Take some anti imflammatories first. Usually for me it's about 3 days before it's almost normal, but I can feel it's weak for about a month.
Once you're healed up, strengthen your core muscles and stretch out each morning after a hot shower. It does wonders.

cow pollinater":34vmwevy said:
If it's a disc or nerve type pain a couple of bee stings will do wonders.
Hope you heal up quickly.
where do you allow the bee's to sting you. will honey bee's work.

My chiropractor is a magician. Unfortunately he was old when we were kids and I'm afraid he's on the home stretch. He was old school and would do everything with his hands. He has kept me from the knife thus far I just hope he gets well because I don't know what I'm going to do without him.

M5farm":2cx91pna said:
cow pollinater":2cx91pna said:
If it's a disc or nerve type pain a couple of bee stings will do wonders.
Hope you heal up quickly.
where do you allow the bee's to sting you. will honey bee's work.
Honey bees are all I use but I do know of a case where wasps accidentally helped someone. I use them for my elbow and shoulder and try to put them right on the joint. My wife had two herniated discs and I would do about ten right in that area when things got really bad. A couple of times I've seen her go from bent over in tears with pain to upright with a weak smile after a few stings.

It feels better this afternoon but probably the meds. If it doesn't continue to improve with the heat ,anti inflams, and sittin on my ass all day. I may try it. Im going to an equipment auction tomorrow so hopefully its better.

If it's in the muscle stings won't help with pain a lot but they do speed up the healing for muscle injuries as well by causing your immune system to focus on that area.

M5 it is important to use ice on a new injury to decrease inflammation. Heat should be used later to increase blood flow and circulation to the area after the first 24-48 hrs.. You can alternate back and forth. But ice should always be used the first day or two for several reasons. (Reduces swelling and inflammation. Slows blood flow to decrease bruising and hematomas. Decreases pain sensors.)

Latest posts